How much time is good enough to spend with a 10 month old?

I am a stay at home mom (I am working on finishing my B.A. degree) and it's just me and my son. My son's dad does see him close to everyday but that's for a few hours usually in the morning before he goes to work (he lives across town). So all during the day it's me and my son, and I just don't know if there is too much or too little time that one could spend with their child. So I am just wondering if any of you know or have any ideas of how much time is good enough or needed for a child? I try to do as much as I can but there are days where I am just exhausted (he still doesn't sleep through the night and some nights are really rough) and I don't feel like I do enough. Do any of you have any thoughts? Thanks in advance :)

Ctepanee

Asked by Ctepanee at 10:14 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Honestly, you don't do enough. But then, you were inconveniently placed in this world of 24 hour days. There is simply not enough time and resources to give your child everything he deserves, and it does not matter who you are. I am a SAHM and still feel I can't give enough to my daughter. If I were a millionaire, I'd still feel the same.

As for how much time is enough... it really depends on the circumstances and your child. Give him everything you can spare from your other responsibilities, and throw the guilt out the window. You are doing the best job you can, and you cannot do better than your very best. Granted, you should make sure it's your very, very best job at being a mother... but you simply cannot do more than that and be human.

Good luck with school. I know it's a struggle, but it's definitely worth it in the end.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 10:34 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I feel like if I am there with baby engaged during feedings and after to practice crawling and other developmental skills games, and enjoy baby, the baby can play by themselves while I do chores or whatever. I think its good for baby to play by themselves sometimes so they know how to entertain themselves you know. I can't think of a set time.
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 10:27 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I think as much time as you can is a good time to spend with your child. I work monday-friday and she is alseep when I leave and I get home at 4 and she is asleep by 7:30. That is 3.5 hours I get with her a day. My husband sometimes goes all day without even seeing her because somedays he has long hours. Enjoy this time!
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:27 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I work fulltime, and always feel like I dont have enough time with my son. I spend every minute I can with him. My boyfriend also works fulltime and goes to school full time. So he sees him even less. I cant aford not to work or else trust me I would. All we can do is our best. I do think it is good for him to go to a sitter once in a while. It gives him a chance to explore new places and new things, he gets to play with other kids, which is always good. I do feel bad when I have to leave him though. I only get to put him to bed 3 nights a week because I work second shift, but I spend every morning with him. Im sure you are doing a great job. Try not to be down on yourself. you are working to better his life.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 10:42 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I think they definitely need MOST of your time. I mean he's 10 months old... what is he doing with out you? Children that age can only entertain themselves for so long, and you shouldn't ask them to play alone too long either. Years from now will you look back and feel like you should have spent more time with him or not?
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 11:00 PM on Oct. 15, 2009