i am at wits end!

So, my son is almost 3, he is TERRIFIED of his bedroom. I do not know what to do. this is not just a normal scared of his bedroom situation, he sais its the "neighbors"... the neighbors scare him. I dont know what to do. Im for real considering a phsyc. tonight, he was sitting here on the couch, in a blank stare, and sais.. "Im just sitting on the couch... SHHHH" its was frikin creepy. PLEASE give me suggestions. I am not going to force him to sleep up in his room, i know my child better enough to know that will do NOTHING but scare him even more. this has been going on for almost a year now. when he was about 1, he has an "imaginary friend".. names MEEM MEEM. and it would scare him sometimes.

HaviksMum

Asked by HaviksMum at 10:18 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I strongly think that he is seeing something kids at this age do see things, my two year old never met my grandfather & points to his picture & says PaPa amoung other things
    Anonymous

• wow, mom have you tried first talking to his pedi? maybe he can bring it up at an appt (this friend, or the "neighbors") and see what your son will say to him first, and then he may be able to refer you to someone who can further help. i really dont know what else to say. are there other kids near by in the neighborhood who might be sneaking around at night? or is he on a second floor? i really hope the best for you and your lil guy....good luck!
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 10:23 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• try sleeping in his room with him to see whats going on. it sounds like he's desperately trying to get attention or your house is haunted. are your neighbors really loud at night or something?
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 10:27 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• well, we lived in an apartment, and it was the same there.. so we thought moving would be a good thing. and it just hasnt changed, so i have NO idea! we live in a 2 story town house now, and he loves it downstairs. he wont even play upstairs. I have mentioned something to his pedi and he said its totaly normal for a child his age to have an imaginary friend. but this is not normal. I took him upstairs yesterday, and sat on his bed with him, and he FLIPPED OUT! he is a tuff little dude. and i know that this isnt right. and its starting to really take its tole on everyone. he doesnt even care if me and my boyfriend sleep upstairs, and he sleeps downstairs.
    HaviksMum

Answer by HaviksMum at 10:36 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I would think it would be worth it to have someone come into the house to see if they can find any spirits or something or have your son looked at because this is taking it's toll on the poor little guy too! He needs some help so he's not so scared. Good luck, hope you find something out soon!
    slynnb

Answer by slynnb at 11:12 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Do you let him watch scary movies? I would consider Christian counseling. Regardless of your religious affiliation.
    Swingkid511

Answer by Swingkid511 at 12:04 AM on Oct. 16, 2009