What is the difference...

between a contraction stress test and a non-stress test?

crazymom21

Asked by crazymom21 at 10:18 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• hopefully i'm not mistaken......the non-stress test makes sure baby is getting enough oxygen and they check the peaks in heart rate a certain amount of times in i think 20 minutes. i believe the contraction one, does just that checks to see how many contractions you're having in a certain time period.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 10:20 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• AmandaN1 is right.  I've had both done and both are painless.  And pretty much done the same way.  There is a "band" placed around your stomach and it monitors your contractions.  Not scary or painful at all babe! 

Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 10:22 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Okay. I had a contraction stress test with my first and they induced me. They did it at 8 in the morning and he was born at 3:03pm that same day. I'm on my fourth and this is a new dr. I don't won't to be scared into being induced if I go past my due date. I can now suggest the non stress test.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 10:28 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Non stress test is just having the baby monitored. A contraction test these can give you medication to have contractions to monitor the baby's response to contractions.
    akl328

Answer by akl328 at 10:43 PM on Oct. 15, 2009