Should I do anything different with my 9 month old?

So I have been breastfeeding my 9 month old DD, at 6 months I introduced cereal and fruits and veggies, and now I am trying to introduce meat. But all she seems to want is to nurse, she'll eat cheerios and any "Human" food, but when I make her cereal with a veggie fruit or meat she won't eat it.

I get wic, and the only meat i can get is chicken with gravy, or ham with gravy etc....So she still gets up in the middle of the night to eat, and I am so tired!!! How do I get her on a schedule and eat what she is suppose to, how did i get her to sleep through the night? She will be 10 months old on the 30th!!

TuckyGirl

Asked by TuckyGirl at 10:24 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• DS refused to eat any baby food when he got a taste of table food! i would make sure at dinner time she still gets her fruits and veggies. just make sure that they're soft enough for her to gum. then she should get to nurse before bed time. now of course i'm just suggesting what worked for my son. if your daughter goes to bed early, you may wake her right before you go to bed and let her nurse and "top off" before you go to bed. does she have a paci? weird thing, my son actually started sleeping through the night at 9 months after taking it away! the first few nights he cried a lot to fall asleep, but has slept through the night for the last almost 2 months.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 10:29 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• My son is 10 months and still gets up to eat at night :) Have you considered simply going to table foods rather than baby food? My son doesn't eat a lot of solids (for other reasons, it's hard on his belly) and I breastfeed as well. I would say if she doesn't want it, don't force it on her, she really doesn't need solids until she is a year. Good luck :)
    Ctepanee

Answer by Ctepanee at 10:35 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I think it sounds like you're doing great. I BF two babies and they were both a little slow to lean more on table food than on breast milk. I know you're thinking that at 10 months they should want to nurse less and eat more, but I guarantee you if you give it another month she will be. There seems to be a huge difference in their eating habits from 10 months to 11 months. My DD went from nursing every 3 hours at 10 months (yes, every 3 hours even during the night) to nursing just 4 to 5 times a day at 11 months.

If you're wanting more protein in her diet and she won't eat me, try cheese. My kids both ate shredded cheese at that age. Also try scrambled eggs. With WIC can you get lunch meat? My babies always loved turkey lunch meat torn into little pieces.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:38 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• You sound like you're on the right track, and so is she. Thrivingmom is right, a month can make a huge difference in the eating habits of babies. I would also go straight to table foods, though mostly soft fruits and vegetables. Try steaming them. You can make pretty much any vegetable baby worthy by steaming it long enough. Neither of my kids liked meat at that age. Try giving her beans if you're worried about protein. Kidney beans and chick peas are still a favorite with my kids and make great finger foods for that age.
    Swingkid511

Answer by Swingkid511 at 11:51 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I have no experience with breastfeeding because I adopted, but I can tell you that you don't have much control over whether or not she sleeps through the night. You can do your best to have her tummy full before bedtime, but beyond that it is up to her. My daughter literally didn't stop waking me up at night until about 4 years old. My son has been a good sleeper from a very early age. I think it just depends on the kid.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:33 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Give her table food ground up. They sell food grinders for pretty cheap at Babies R Us (about $20). That way she has what you have, but it's safe for her age :)
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 5:50 AM on Oct. 16, 2009