Should I?

Take my cat to the pound? I have knowone that wants him and he is a mean cat.. He bites my kids and scraches them.. Also I have spent so much money on getting ride of the flea's that he had when I got him and they keep coming back.. I have treated my yard,house and used front line plus on him.. I Have done everything.. I have to keeph hin shut in another room so that he will not go after my 19month old what eles can i do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:32 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Pets

• How old is he? Is he mean because the kids grab him or just out right mean? If it is the first one well he is defending himself and shouldnot be punished for that. I strongly believe that when you take on the responsiblity of an animal that is is for their life time. There are certain situations were there are exceptions but i really don't think this is one of them. Have you taken the cat to the vet and done bloodwork? There are diseases that can cause cats to be aggressive.

Are you using frontline every single month because if not then the fleas will definantly come back. I personally like Advantage better for Fleas but Frontline should work.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:06 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Declaw him!

No idea honey, take him to a shelter and say you found him. LOL
    kerri-

Answer by kerri- at 10:41 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• put his ass out side ! put his food and water out side with him and get a box for him to sleep in at night ! the pound will only put him to sleep , hes better off being out side . good luck !
    Anonymous

• i agree, put him outside with some flea protection. we keep all our cats outside. although the idea of a new indoor kitty is growing on me..........
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:53 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I for one would NOT throw him outside. There are WAY too many dangers for outdoor cats! I agree with getting blood work done to rule out any diseases/sickness. Also, if you haven't already, teach your kids to be gentle with him and give him a safe place he can go to get away from the kids. If all else fails and you have no other choice, make sure he goes to a GOOD home (do a home check if you can and get vet references to be sure the new people will actually take care of him). Do NOT just put an ad in the paper saying "free to good home" because you may not know what the true intentions are of people who answer those kind of ads (they may use him for "bait" in a dog-fighting ring or sell him to a lab that does cruel animal testing).

CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 8:51 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• i agree, make him an outside cat if it doesnt freeze where you live.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 10:15 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Making him an outside cat may or may not be the answer. I agree there are many many dangers to outside cats. You risk high vet bills due to hit-by-car, cat fights, dog attacks... If it's an older cat he may no adjust to being 'kicked out' I am not against outside cats. Sometimes it's better for the cat to ba alive and outside than dead or abandoned ion a shelter. Keep in mind that shelters are extremely over populated right now with all of the foreclosures and job losses. In my county an willingly surrendered pet is immediately euthanized. If you understand the risk and are willing to try making him outside try that first. Otherwise remember pets are awesome and I know how much you can love them but your human babies should come first. If you have exhausted all avenues to compromise (with the cat) then a shelter may be best for your family.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:52 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• We had a dog for 4 years and no one wnated him so we had to take him to the pound. We could not have him anymore. He was an outside dog. My parents were about to be homeless (they lost there home because landlord wouldnt take rent 2 days late the dog was properly fed and had attention) but what do you do. Also when i was 2 years old my dad had a dog and he was hyper he scratched my nose (which i still have a scar a big one) and he did what he had to do. Do what you feel is best. If no one wnats it and you are tired of him being mean then he might need to go to a shelter. Its hard, i know from experince but it happens all the time.
    Anonymous

• I have a very mean cat, but he calmed down as he got older. I would look into giving him to a rescue. I know there are a lot out there. Good luck!
    LaurieM339

Answer by LaurieM339 at 12:37 AM on Oct. 18, 2009