Army?

So my boyfriend wants to join the army. Our son is 10 1/2 months old. I have never traveled or lived anywhere except for this lame town in Illinois my entire life.I lost most of my friends when I had my son because I grew up and all anyone in this town does is drink. I think it would be awesome to move and meet new people, but I am also shy. But my biggest worry is to take my son away from his family here.I dont want him to grow up not knowing our family, we are very close. Anyone here have a hubby in the army or any advice?

ashtonjames

Asked by ashtonjames at 10:36 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Just for Fun

• my hubby joined the airforce and i felt the exact same way. its actually pretty nice and even though we only get to go home once a year, we still maintain contact with our family and do webcam. i love it! it does give you the chance to go new places and meet new people
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 10:39 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Well I know exactly how you feel I had a similar dillemma. My fiance is in the Army ROTC. So I knew from the begining to expect the moving and all....even though I'm shy when it comes to meeting new people I got super psyched about being able to basicly start over in a new place... I have an 8 month old and in our small town all our friends do too is drink so we dont really hang out with people that much. He decaided to join the national guard so we wouldnt have to move as mucha dn he'll be home more than if he went career army.... so now I planned for this whole army life that im not gonna have much of anymore...but its good for my daughter so ill live lol...I don't really have much advice except if he wants to join stand by his side my fiance was an army brat all his life and he has tons of exciting stories from growing up in other countries that I would love to have experienced.
    JocelynsMama1

Answer by JocelynsMama1 at 10:44 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• That is a major concern with everyone not only in the military but for every parent that lives for far away from family. There are ways for you and your family to keep in contact. My children have a wonderful with mine and my dh's family. They love getting pictures from different family members and hearing about why and where the pic's were taken. They love to talk to them on the phone. It makes getting together that much better. When I was a child, my grandmother lived 3,000 miles from us. We didn't get to see her often. We wrote a lot of letters and talked on the phone. All of us loved it when she came to visit. I hope this helps.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 10:49 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• The Army is a family in and of itself. I say DO IT!
    Get married first or you two get no benefits and then--HAVE FUN! There is NO life better than that of a PROUD ARMY WIFE!!!!
    HOOAH! (Learn that phrase, you'll be screaming it at his BCT graduation; oh and get an acronym handbook from the PX while he is in BCT, you'll need it. And...oh, heck, pm me and I'll give you the names of some books and resources to get and get ahold of so that you'll be a stylin' and profilin' Army wife. Oh and one more thing--learn to LOVL the US, otherwise, you will be ostrasized everywhere you are stationed and with good flipping reason!)
    mama4Christ361

Answer by mama4Christ361 at 10:52 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• its easier than it sounds, webcams, phone calls, pictures, letters etc..my daughter sends a "letter" to my husbands family once a week (shes almost 4 so its more pictures shes drawn stuff like that) and kris gets on the webcam with them a few times a month so she can see them and they can see the kids. its worth it, you can visit often, and it makes grandparents that much more fun when they are a luxury
    jessil83

Answer by jessil83 at 11:46 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• My hubby is Air Force, and he's been in for 12.5 years. Our son was 2 weeks old when he enlisted. We have LOVED it so far even though we had to move our son away from ALL of our family (they ALL live in Texas). The Air Force has been perfect for our family, we have LOVED the travel, and its like a big family. Everywhere we have been, we have easily made very very close friends. And when we move, we still keep in touch with the friends we have made. It is very nice knowing that if your husband is deployed, you still have people around to lean on and to ask for help when you need it. Plus the job stability and steady pay raises REALLY help too! If you want to know more, PM me.
    Anonymous

• I dont know why that answered anon lol. Anon :55 was me
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:57 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I was in the Navy. My husband is still in the Navy. We can retire next summer if we want. My brother who is a lot younger than me (lol - he could be my son), just joined the Army. I can tell you that just because you're in the military doesn't mean that you can't still be close to family. My kids are very close to my dh's parents (not so much to my mom, but she's also the same way with my sisters kids who live down the road from her, so...) We still see them, they visit, we visit, we web-chat, email, phone calls (we live in Japan and have our phone through the net so we can still call home like we were in the States).

Plus, the military community can be very tight knit and supportive of each other, because are are all a long way from home.

There are hard parts, but overall, I LOVE being a military family.

PS - the first couple of yrs are the hardest - after you get some time and rank, it's much better :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:01 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Oh, and when I say my kids are close to their grandparents - my kids are teenagers, and my mil laughs about how lucky she is, because her grandkids will still call to tell her about things going on - the big game last Friday night, what they're going to wear to Homecoming, etc. She has friends whose grandkids live in the same town as their grandparents, and they hardly see them.

Because, ironic as it might seem, sometimes it takes family NOT being right there all the time to make you really appreciate and bond more with them.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:04 AM on Oct. 16, 2009