Vaccines

Are Christians allowed to get vaccines?

rhanford

Asked by rhanford at 10:38 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm "Christian" and I get myself and the kids vaccinated, same with my dh.
    kerri-

Answer by kerri- at 10:40 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• yes..there's nothing in biblical scripture that opposes it. (if there is, you can be sure someone will let us know.)
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 10:41 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Yes, it is not a "sin" to get vaccines.

But it is okay too if you don't want to get vaccines to sign a religious waiver for selective vaccination since many vaccines contain stem cells from aborted babies (or for other reasons, maybe you prayed about it and you feel the Lord leading you to not vax your child because they might be bad for your kid in particular, as in my case).

I live in CA and I don't vax my dd's anymore. I can sign a philosophical waiver here, but if I couldn't I would have signed a religious waiver.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 10:57 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• No I'm not a JW. But I was raised SDA. Now as SDA we do take care about what we put into our bodies, and many consider meat and meat products to hurt our bodies nowadays so that hurts the temple of God therefore i wrong. Also what we drink and watch and read everything. So since vaccines are all full of horrable body hurting stuff, I was wondering if it fits this criteria and if anyone else had bilical refernces :) But I am NOT a JW.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 12:09 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Anon - JWs vaccinate!

I'm not Christian. I don't vaccinate. And I can see how the argument COULD be made from any religious point of view that since vaccines are harmful they could be in violation of Gods will. However, for most people that's not the feeling.

It's like the idea that tattoos or peircings are harmful that they are wrong because they are not natural... It doesn't stop TRILLIONS of Christians (or any other faith) from having them for the most part. It's something that is 100% up to the perception of the believer.

For me, my religious views and my feelings about vaccines could go hand in hand, but they have nothing to do with each other. My beliefs about vaccines come from education, not religion. They just happen to mesh very well. My DH is Christian, and also anti-vaccine, again, it has nothing to do with religion though.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:39 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Vaccination is purely a matter of individual conscience for Jehovah's Witnesses.
    AmourDeMere

Answer by AmourDeMere at 5:43 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Agree with AmourDeMere (mother love? Pretty user ID Sister :0). I'm a JW and don't vaccinate. It's the personal choice of our family. We're largely vegan too, home ed, homebirth etc. Again, nothing to do with my religion. Just personal choice, what suits our family best. If there were clear grounds for not vaccinating based on scripture all JWs would avoid it. So, I suppose my answer to the Q is yes, Christains are 'allowed' to vaccinate. BUT, the Bible does make is clear that individual conscience is a PRECIOUS thing (Romans 2:15 ). I'd not be swayed by what was the fancy of those around me if something just even felt plain 'wrong' or ill advised. Or visa versa. [sorry for the waffle. Hope this helps a bit]
    Mamkind

Answer by Mamkind at 6:26 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• The simple answer is, "yes". I didnt read the other answers, in all honesty so if this is a repeat, sorry. In my opinion, and my understanding of the Bible and Christ, not getting vaccinated for certain things would be the equivilant of being stranded on a roof during Hurricaine Katrina and when the helecopter came to save you saying, No thanks! GOD is going to save me....God uses us. He uses Doctors to help keep us safe and well. No, I don't think kids need EVERY shot, and understand there are risks with or without, but I honestly believe that NOT getting certain shots can make for bad news in our country later....other countries still have some of those diseases like mumps and the like...they come over here, bring it with...suddenly your unvaccinated child is sick with an illness their body is not equiped to fight. ::shrug:: just my view.
    MamaCass07

Answer by MamaCass07 at 7:48 PM on Oct. 23, 2009