rolling over on crib...

so i know baby sleeping on back helps prevent sids but now my dd 6 months old is rolling over in the middle of the night sleeping on her belly what should i do... ??

laly87

Asked by laly87 at 10:39 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter did that too. I just let her. She's fine. Just make sure there is nothing (pillows, stuffed animals) that can cover her face. My daughter refuses to sleep on her back.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 10:41 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• you can get one of those pillow looking baby holding in place devices....dang what are they called?! it looks like two triangles on each side of the baby!
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 10:42 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Put her to bed on her back, make sure she doesn't have too many blankets, even better get her a wearable blanket http://www.target.com/Wearable-Blankets-Baby-Bedding/b?ie=UTF8&node=13698601 and no pillow at all. If the baby turns by herself, then that is okay. But don't put her down on her tummy, always on the back.
    kimmykim

Answer by kimmykim at 10:45 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I was told that if your child can roll over to sleep on their belly, they can roll back over if they need to. I wouldn't worry about it. My son loves sleeping on his belly and he started doing that around 6 months of age. Also, 90% of SIDS occurs under 6 months of age. So I am sure your child will be fine :)
    Ctepanee

Answer by Ctepanee at 10:46 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• If the baby is old enough to roll itself over then the baby is fine sleeping on the stomach. Just make sure that there is no bumper pad, blankets, pillows or toys in the crib that could suffocate the child.
    Anonymous

• My pediatricain said once the baby could roll over on her own it was fine to let them do so....I did have a wedge but she rolled so much it woke her up trying to roll out of it.
    JocelynsMama1

Answer by JocelynsMama1 at 10:47 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Theres really no way to stop it. My son started doing that, and It freaked me out. I was up half the night worring and trying to roll him back onto his back. But he would wake up or just roll right back over to his belly. So ever since he was about 6months he has been sleeping on his belly. Not always but the majority of the time. Once they are old enough to move themselves around I dont think theres as much to worry about with sids.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 10:53 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Let her, that is about all you can do, Unless you stay by her crib all night long and stop her from rolling over, then there is not much you can do.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:59 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• They say once they can start rolling over on their own to just make sure there isn't too many blanket in the crib and that having a fan circulating air around in the bedroom also has shown to decrease the chance of SIDS. Make sure you don't have a bumper in the crib and try not to worry. Although I still got up through the night to check on mine! Now she is 14 mo. and has the blankets by her head or else not covered up at all so I am always in there checking on her now!
    slynnb

Answer by slynnb at 11:07 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• no wedges....baby will roll over it or become trapped. My son did this around 4 months, but only for a month n now he doesnt bother at night, hes teething so i think he moved on to something else to do at night (like wake up screaming lol) id just recommend the breathable bumpers, they are good for worrysome mommas, and pad enough so baby will be protected from bonking head on the crib.keep everything out of crib and just put some footed pajamas on baby instead of blankets which she could get tangled up in when rolling. A firm mattress with a tight sheet , and if she can roll over at this point, i would feel more at ease, she is over 6 months.
    CurvyMommato1

Answer by CurvyMommato1 at 11:38 PM on Oct. 15, 2009