Two Questions In One

First- When and how is the best way to take away the binky?
My son isnt very attached to his at all but he does use it... I'm not sure it's gonna be a horrible problem to take it away I just want to hear some others stories of what worked for them.... Thank you

Second- My son is now 13 months old and knows when he goes to the bathroom because if he can get to his diaper after he goes(pee or poop) he takes it off and brings it to me to throw away and put a new one on him... Is this just a faze or a sign that maybe it's time to potty train? He's not very verbel at this time and thats whats worries me most.. Even when he cant get the diaper off himself he still knows he's gone to the bathroom by patting his diaper.. I just want some other mothers on whether this is a faze or if this is the time to potty train and thats what he's trying to tell me...
Thank you for your help

TristansMommy16

Asked by TristansMommy16 at 11:07 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• 1. You can gradually cut the tip off the paci and keep cutting it until there is next to nothing to suck on that way baby loses interest. Or you can just make it a big deal/celebration (mini of course) and pass them off to another baby, him handing them over, and of course throw them away, dont actually let another baby suck them.

2. you can get a potty chair. Teach him how to sit on it. You can "train" him to sit on the potty with his diaper on at first and once he seems like he gets it you can try with out the diaper
    Anonymous

• my son was pretty attached to his binky, we "lost" his one by one til there were no more @ 8 months old because he was starting to forget it (lose interest) for something else, now hes got more hot wheels then I can count...potty training for my son seems a little bit farther away for now, he was doing the taking off the diaper at about a year when wet or dirty (hes 19 months old and still does) and we have a chair but he doesnt seem to make the connection, he just wants to play with it...if it works for you, great! I'm sticking to its a phase...
    mommyy0920

Answer by mommyy0920 at 12:03 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• 1. Try just not giving it to him. When he asks for it, say that its for babies and he's a big boy now. If he accepts that, great. If not, he's still young, I would let him have it yet for bedtime and naptime.

2. Might as well get a potty. You'll need it eventually anyway. But he probably more just feels when he's wet, and wants it off. Not so much realizing before he goes that he's going to, KWIM. But my middle child started self-training at 16 months. It's not entirely impossible.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 2:50 AM on Oct. 16, 2009