so whats this about castor oil?

so how does it help labor?
anyone try this?
what does it taste like?

My mom told me about it but she left out WAY too many details

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 11:14 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It gives you the wicked shits, which *can* trigger contractions - but not always. It can dehydrate you very quickly because of that, which is very unhealthy for both you and baby.
    Anonymous

• It is garbage and it is dangerous. The therory is it stimulates your bowels(which it certainly will in a not so nice way) and that in turn will stimulate the uterus to start contraction because the uterus sit right in front of the bowel in late pregnancy. Many women try it and all they get in return is massive diarrhea and a good case of fatigue. There is little you can do to bring on labor if your body isn't ready. IF your body is ready semen can soften the cervix and may help start labor. The problem is knowing if you are ready.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:19 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Google it.  I've asked this question here myself and what I found is CRAZY!  Drinking castor oil can also give your child WHILE STILL INSIDE diarrhea!  It's disgusting, lol.  I also found out that the baby can actually inhale the crap messing up their lungs! 

Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 11:20 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• ooooooh

okay it seemed kind of sketchy, I'll stick to just waiting on labor to start on its own...lol
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 11:22 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• It cause you to have stomach cramps which can sometimes cause you to start having contractions... Key word though is SOMETIMES not always and truely it's vedryr nasty stuff and if it doesnt work can cause you to have a very unpleasent time after taking it and can also cause you to become dehydrated which isnt good at all for anyone.. So basically yeah it's a 50-50 shot that it will work but truthfully it can end up doing more harm then good...
    TristansMommy16

Answer by TristansMommy16 at 11:23 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I agree, lol.   I asked because I wanted to try it and see if it would work but I decided not to also, lol.  I found out first that it makes the baby crap while still inside.  The baby is born with crap all over it, LMFAO!  I'm laughing out of disgust.  I DO NOT want to see something like that ever again, lol.  I watched a video online about a woman who drank castor oil, it was NOT pretty!  The lungs, that did me in.  I was like "Oh no, thats okay, I'll wait for labor to begin naturally", lol.  Sorry, I'm hyper tonight, lol.

Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 11:27 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Dom, that first anon reply is an excellent summary!
    It's just not good... :-(
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:16 AM on Oct. 16, 2009