potty training

How do I encourage my little one to start potty training?

cheermickey

Asked by cheermickey at 11:47 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• first off how old are they and do they show any signs of wanting to potty train
    JocelynsMama1

Answer by JocelynsMama1 at 11:49 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• almost a year and a half.. when we take him in for a bath and remove his diaper he stands there and pees on the floor.
    cheermickey

Answer by cheermickey at 11:51 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Start having him go potty before his bath since you already know he does that.. I would suggest a sticker chart its what we use at day care and my lil cousin used it as well....each time they use the bathroom you pout up a sticker....after so many (you decide how many) they get a small prize this can be an object or simply letting them choose an activity to go out and do the prize does not have to be tangible
    JocelynsMama1

Answer by JocelynsMama1 at 11:59 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• just pick him up and put him on the potty when he starts peeing. If you keep catching him when he pees on the floor eventually he'll catch on. That's how I potty trained my 2 1/2. It only took a couple of days, but the he was a bit older than your son.
    Swingkid511

Answer by Swingkid511 at 12:00 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I'd put him on the potty once a day before nap or before bed to get him used to it. I did this with my dd and I really didn't start training her until she was 22m. She really wasn't interested in learning when we started, however she got it down in only three days.
    sweettigeress

Answer by sweettigeress at 11:57 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I always had my DD come with me and sit on her potty when I would go. Also i would just put a shirt on her and have her bare bottom. If he starts going like Swingkid said pick him up and put him on the potty. I would carry the potty around with us all day. So if we were in the living room her potty was in the middle of the room. That way it's never too far. Mine is 2 1/2 and was potty trained by 18 mo. The thing to remember is never force. They all do it in their own time. I never gave rewards but I hear it works. I just said yay when she would make it and go in the potty. Now she can turn on the light use the big potty, wash her hands, turn the light off and close the door.
    good luck mama!!
    missbrittani

Answer by missbrittani at 1:25 PM on Oct. 16, 2009