WORRIED! H1N1 mist was given to my 4 yr old w-asthma

Ok I have 2 ?'s. Out doc office was crazy busy, end of the day and I didn't get my ?'s anwered! I took my 1 year old to the doc for his 1 year check up and 2nd reg. flu shot but they were out and couldn't give it to him. Is it still effective if he get's the 2nd shot 5 weeks later instead of 4 weeks later? I have to go elsewhere for it. 2nd of all my 4 1/2 year old has mild asthma. He doesn't use his inhaler everyday just once in awhile. But his asthma does seem to act up more once it gets colder outside. His doc said since he has never been hospitalized for asthma and it isn't severe that he could get the H1N1 flumist. Since he said it was ok, he got it. Now I'm having 2nd thoughts, thinking I should have waited for him to get the actual shot! Help!?! Anybody have any info on this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My 3 year old has suffered with asthma for almost 2 years now,he uses a nebulizer and has an emergency inhaler-plus takes singular tablets every night.Anyways his dr. strongly suggested that he had the H1N1 flu shot-so I got him the first one,and he goes back next month for the 2nd part of it.Im not too sure about the mist vs. the shot as far as effectiveness goes-but I was super hesitant about the mist because I read that the mist is a "live" virus,and the shot is a "dead" virus. I was worried enough letting my son get the shot,but with his asthma I know it was extremely importent! As far as how long in between shots-I highly doubt the extra week would make any difference-all you can do is ask your dr. Good Luck!!
    dakotasmommy06

Answer by dakotasmommy06 at 12:53 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Our pediatrician said NO mists for our boys. I have two with asthma and one with mild asthma. We've been told from the very beginning that they canNOT have the flumist.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:37 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• First, as long as the child isn't having a problem breathing, they will be fine after getting the mist. I would call and voice your concerns with the mixup. Second, the shot will be effective if the second dose is at 5 weeks instead of 4. My son never got the 2nd dose when he first got the flu shot and he never got the flu.

The reason the Flumist can't be given to people with asthma is because it may increase asthma symptoms.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:55 PM on Oct. 16, 2009