Baby gasping suddenly

My 7mo has started gasping, it randomly occures through out the day, this just started a week ago. Her gasp are just a sudden short little gasp, should I be worried or is this just something some babies do?

MintyMew

Asked by MintyMew at 12:18 AM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Could she just be doing it to hear herself make a new noise, or does she appear to be having difficulty breathing? If you have any concern that she is having trouble breathing, you should have her seen ASAP. Look at the color of her lips and mucous membranes (inside of her mough). When my son was about 8 months he started shaking his head back and forth. I was worried that he had some sort of middle ear balance problem, but then I realized he was just saying "no". Hopefully she is fine, but it wouldn't hurt to have a doctor check her out.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:31 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I don't remember how old she was when she started doing this, but my DD went through a phase as a baby for about a month where should would gasp....every time I would jump to make certain she was ok but she was just having fun making a new noise.

If you ever feel she she is truly having trouble breathing though, you should call 911.
    MrsAce150

Answer by MrsAce150 at 1:06 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• my son was 7 months when he started gasping, look at his chest just under his rib cage and right above his rib cage where the two collar bones meet. if they sink in when he takes a breath he is having difficulty breathing. my son was put on a nebulizer, for slight asthma and now every time he gets sick he needs it. but i would call your pediatrcian just to be sure. breathing is nothing to mess with.
    Nicole_06

Answer by Nicole_06 at 9:47 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I agree with Nicole, watch him breath and see if it sinks in. Both my girls had problems with this at different times. One becuase of her heart defects (born with 4 had surgery to fix), the other when she got RSV. I think it is still a little early yet for the RSV season but when in doubt have him checked out.
    Katysmom

Answer by Katysmom at 1:52 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• My DD did this around 7 months. i was concerned and talked to her doc. about it but she reassured me that she was just making the noice. I think she liked the reaction she got from it and once i stopped reacting, she stopped doing it.
    Newmom11309

Answer by Newmom11309 at 11:29 PM on Oct. 17, 2009