Any suggestions for getting baby to sleep through the night?

My DD is 14 months old. She is still not sleeping through the night. Most nights, she falls asleep between 9 and 10 and after she falls asleep, I lay her in her crib. She stays asleep and sleeps on her own in her crib for a few hours. Then sometime between 1 and 3 she wakes up crying. If I pick her up and hold her for a few minutes, normally then I can lay her back down again but not always. And sometimes when she starts crying I go to get her and she is still asleep but crying out in her sleep. Then most of the time she wakes up about every 1/2 hour after that unless I let her sleep with me. And even when she does sleep with me, she normally wakes up at least once more in the night.
I haven't fed her in the middle of the night since she was just a couple weeks old so I don't think it is an issue with being hungry. The dr says that it is from teething and I just have to wait for her to grow out of it.

MrsAce150

Asked by MrsAce150 at 1:19 AM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Doc is pretty much correct. She will start sleeping on her own again. She's actually doing quite well!

Google "Elizabeth Pantley" for some great suggestions from her website. But I wouldn;'t worry too much about baby's sleep. It will correct itself.

What about YOUR sleep, you ask? Heh heh...Re-read the Mommy Contract. You signed that away! **grin**

Answer by gdiamante at 1:35 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• My almost 3 year old didnt sleep through the night until just a few months ago. I took her to the DR numerous times. FINALLY, the dr said...look....heres what you can do: have soft music playing all through the night. Give her a small dose of Melatonin before bed ( about 30 min is what I do ) and then have a nightlight. so what do I do????? I have a classical CD, for kids, play all night ( repeat all button), i give her a melatonin pill, crushed in her juice ( it sticks to the bottom, so swirl it around ) and i have a blue nightlight in her room( blue is better says the dr ). SHE SLEEPS THROUGH THE NIGHT!!!!!!!! melatonin is completely safe. your body makes it naturally, but some people need more. its better then giving her benadryl. I hope this or anything works for you, i understand where you are coming from.....i was close to tears every night for a year. good luck!!!!
    feistymomof2

Answer by feistymomof2 at 2:30 AM on Oct. 16, 2009