Can a woman's placenta fail?

Kind of a knock off from another post. I remember my mom saying that the doctors told her that her placenta was going to be old, but she refused C-section anyways, and when the baby was born (can't remember if it was me or one of my siblings) she asked the on-call delivery doctor if her placenta looked old and he said no.
And then here, i saw a post and half the women are saying a placenta can get old after 42 weeks and the other half are saying it's not possible or highly unlikely.

does anyone have any links?

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 1:30 AM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• http://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu/uvahealth/peds_hrpregnant/postterm.cfm

Second or third paragraph. My oldest child was a 42 week gestation baby and I was induced because the placenta was starting to calcify.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:10 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• forums.obgyn.net/womens-health/WHF.9710/0363.html
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 1:31 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• www.medhelp.org/posts/...to-oldplacenta.../173937
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 1:33 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• that second link says

file not found.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:36 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I just noticed that myself.  Darnit.  I've been trying to find out this same thing all night, lol. 

Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 1:37 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Well, everything i find about the placenta is listing possible complications with the placenta and an aged placenta is NEVER listed ...so ...i wonder what that means.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:44 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• yes it can fail, i met a nurse who had to have an emerg. c section about 30 weeks because her baby wasnt getting nutrients from the placenta because it was failing... i had preclamcia, which is pregnancy caused high blood pressure. the cure is always delivery, the mother in essence becomes allergic to her placenta.... when it is out, she stops being poisoned by it. yes many complications happen with the placenta because it is so important. idk if being older effects that at all.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 10:00 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Me too.  I haven't seen one thing about a placenta failing because it's "old".  I'm not sure what that means either, lol.  Maybe it's not possible.  I'll keep looking today and see what I find.

Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 12:40 PM on Oct. 16, 2009