play gym and crib mobile, are they worth the money?

I want to get them, but a lot of the newborn play gym things and the fisher price mobiles are like 40 bucks a piece!! is either worth the money? what about the old fashion mobiles? some are a lil cheaper than the fisher price kind but are they as useful? im lost on this stuff lol! just dont wanna waste money on stuff

sammybear71

Asked by sammybear71 at 1:31 AM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Not worth it. The baby shouldn't be in the crib awake anyway.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:35 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• no total waste of money. In my opinon anyway. I never used the ones I had with all 3 of my kids
    Mesha125

Answer by Mesha125 at 1:43 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Waste of money! I agree, if your child is in the crib then it should be going to sleep not haveing something to distract them. I bought one when I was expecting, because it was just one of those things that matches the rest of the room. But, now I wish I would have saved my $50.00!
    momtopreemie521

Answer by momtopreemie521 at 6:42 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• i never had a mobile, but i think the play gym was a waste of money. we never used ours. a blanket on the floor with one of those mirrors and some toys (brightly colored soft blocks, black and white rattle, etc.) does the job much better
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 9:00 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• The play MATS are worth every penny. The mobile, while DS liked it, only kept his interest for about a week so I go with not worth it. I would put the money towards a noise machine (ocean, wind, etc.).

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I didn't have either for my son. He is 6 months now and he has always loved his bouncer which is useful more than a play mat and does the same purpose b/c it has an activity bar.... Once he was big enough I got an activity gym that he can stand up in, and they have the kind that bounce n do all sorts of things. I dont keep anything in his crib, toys or anything sothe mobile would have been useless. They say to take it out after baby is moving around anyways. I think a play mat can still be useful though, and there are some cheap ones ($20 at walmart) that will do the same purpose as the $80 ones so I would go that route for mats and skip the mobile.
    CurvyMommato1

Answer by CurvyMommato1 at 10:58 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• My daughter LOVES her mobile. HOWEVER, she is still sleeping in her pack n play in our room - I bring her into her nursery during the day and lay her in there while I do stuff and I turn her mobile on and she absolutely loves the music and moving parts. I can't speak for whether or not it will be useful once she's actually sleeping in there...She isn't that excited about her playgym.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 8:12 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Gaill... what planet do you live on??? my daughter has been put in her crib awake since she was like 3 months and she falls asleep w/o crying every night. She will wake up when she is done and just play and talk to herself until i go and get her. and she is now 9 months.
    BUt back to the question... i really wanted a mobile for her bed and i only used it like twice. I think she likes looking at it but if i didnt get it in the baby shower, it would have been a total waste of money. BUt everyone is different... you might use it more often and it might be worthe it to you.
    Newmom11309

Answer by Newmom11309 at 11:23 PM on Oct. 17, 2009