Why are the those who are on disability or SSI the only ones getting the stimulus package in '09?

I have no problem with them getting the money, but the working class deserves the money too. After all they pay into it!!

Maybe I heard it wrong so no bashing.

tickled_pink09

Asked by tickled_pink09 at 1:54 AM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Because they are getting ready to gut medicare.

If the government was really serious about helping the people they would be slashing taxes right and left. They would also drop EVERYTHING that had any new taxes in it.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 2:03 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• You didn't hear incorrectly, just incompletely.

The $250 stimulus payment has been proposed to make up for the lack of a COLA this year (cost of living adjustment). There will be no COLA because inflation was so low.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jWbDrKBPDcOvEPhXT9GeIzB4ijLQD9BBQ6100

Answer by gdiamante at 2:18 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I heard it second hand btw
    tickled_pink09

Answer by tickled_pink09 at 2:27 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• It still irks me because the working class did not get any last time either
    tickled_pink09

Answer by tickled_pink09 at 2:31 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• More handouts to buy votes. If anyone needs it, the people on ssi do.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:40 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

Ideally, nobody would get one. You realize that's our money we're handing out? Every penny that goes to a stimulus is more taxes you pay later. The fewer people who get it, the better. I'd rather see them do the COLA, because it sets a nasty precedent. Next year the gap between SSI and the actual cost of living will be even higher, which means asking for even more money than they'd need this year. And there's no way in hell they're going to cut pork to make room for it. It's absolutely ridiculous. They make the case for having this social spending, and then they don't even have the balls to pay for it when they have lobbyists to buy off. By not doing the COLA, seniors and the disabled are going to be hurting far worse 2 years from now, then 3, then 4, unless we get people in there who will pay for necessities first and toys second.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:30 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• What I don't like is the fact that they aren't getting a cost of living raise because there was no inflation this year. That means there have been basically no cost increases in things we buy Thats what a cost of living increase is, if there is no increase then they are not supposed to get any SS increase.
    Well, I really see no reason they need to once again take my tax dollars and just give them away. Hell! I live in the same USA that they do and they are not going to give me any money. The average amount of SS is just over $1000 a month. What about everyone who doesn't make more than 12-15 thousand a year? What about those who make 20-30 thousand a year and do get SS? It's not fair and it's just not warranted when we are so far in debt anyway.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:28 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• It is because of COLA an the fact htat everyone else that does work gets an extra $7 I believe i their checks a week.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 11:59 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Those on SS won't be getting a cost of living increase. It's sad, all the prices of food going up the seniors WILL be eating more canned catfood.
    The first stimulus DID NOT WORK!
    Anonymous

• Steph, you do realize who most of the Social Security recipients are? The vast majority of them are seniors who aren't going to be earning anything...that's all their income. And many of them pay no taxes at all any more...I know my parents didn't once they were on SSI. They were lucky enough that their home was paid for and they had savings (which got devoured by mom's cancer treatments but that's another story)....had those things not been in place, they'd have been in dire straits.

I'm not quite sure I understand your objection.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:48 PM on Oct. 16, 2009