VBAC vs. C-Section

My son was frank breech so I had no decision about how I would deliver with my last pregnancy...he was a c-section. I had some major complications after the c-section so I am a bit gun shy of going into one again. I have also heard that if a VBAC goes bad (like rupturing your old incision, etc.) it goes bad quick and there is a chance of you and baby not making it. Has anyone had a VBAC and if so, how did it go? I'm trying to decide if I want to try for it or just plan a repeat c-section.

jdelain79

Asked by jdelain79 at 2:01 AM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had a VBA2C. That's a VBAC after 2 c-sections. It went absolutely great. As for rupture, your chances of that are only 1 in 300, or about 0.3%. (Mine were 1 in 100, or 1%). And only about 10% of ruptures are what they call catastrophic ruptures, where the entire incision or most of it ruptures. The others are just small ones, not nearly as dangerous. So you're looking at about a 1 in 3000 chance of you and your baby's life being in serious danger from a rupture. Not really a significant number, IMO. A c-section is much more dangerous. For some good info, look up ICAN. Or just look at doulala's journals. She's got one with so much info on VBAC, it just might give you a headache trying to take it all in.
    You're the only one who can make that decision, but my advice? Definitely VBAC. Safer and healthier for everyone.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 3:08 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• LOL, I will take that as a COMPLIMENT!!
    There are actually 2 journals...    ;-P

here ya go:     Vaginal Birth After Cesarean (VBAC) Fact Sheet

and   VBAC Frequently Asked Questions

doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:52 PM on Oct. 17, 2009