Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you cope when your child is diagnosed with Cancer?

My 17 year old son was diagnosed with Rectal Cancer. My husband and i are both at a lose and it is tearing us apart inside because there has never been a history of this in either my family or my husbands family. And our son is the healthiest kid i have ever seen. And it has really put my son into a all time low of a mood all he wants to do is sleep. His grades are slipping and his friends have tried to get him out of the house but he wont go. And even his girlfriend can not seem to get through to him and they have been dating for 4 years. They have a surgery scheduled for October 30th to try and remove the cancer. But i am at a lose for what to do right now this has hit my family like a two ton brick wall. It has hit our son worse then everyone else which is understandable. I am not sure what to do. Advice?


Asked by Anonymous at 2:09 AM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

This question is closed.
Answers (2)
  • I am so sorry. You should look into support groups for parents and for teens dealing with this kind of situation. Try doing a google search and asking your doctor. My feeling is that your son is probably going through the stages of grieving. You may be too. Try looking those stages up too they may offer some good advice. No one knows why cancer picks the people that it picks but stay positive....while allowing your son to go through the natural progression of acceptance. I believe that rectal cancer is very curable right? My grandfather had it and they operated to remove and that was about 5 or 6 years ago. He hasn't had any more reoccurances. Stay strong and find some support from people his age going through the same thing...they may be the only people your son will talk to because they can relate to him and what he's personally going through. GL

    Answer by KaceesMom at 2:27 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

  • Wow. I am sorry. Hugs. I can't imagine. I think it is going to have to be a one day at a time thing. Please ask the doctor to refer you to a special councelor.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:13 AM on Oct. 16, 2009