How do you cope when your child is diagnosed with Cancer?

My 17 year old son was diagnosed with Rectal Cancer. My husband and i are both at a lose and it is tearing us apart inside because there has never been a history of this in either my family or my husbands family. And our son is the healthiest kid i have ever seen. And it has really put my son into a all time low of a mood all he wants to do is sleep. His grades are slipping and his friends have tried to get him out of the house but he wont go. And even his girlfriend can not seem to get through to him and they have been dating for 4 years. They have a surgery scheduled for October 30th to try and remove the cancer. But i am at a lose for what to do right now this has hit my family like a two ton brick wall. It has hit our son worse then everyone else which is understandable. I am not sure what to do. Advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:10 AM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Being so young, sometimes kids put together cancer=the end. Being older and knowing more, we know that things CAN be done, and it doesnt always mean that. Can he talk to someone like a therapist that can help him sort out his feelings? Try to get him onboard to 'do whatever we can to beat this' being it seeing different people for good diets, meditation, journaling, etc. Make him healthy in MIND BODY & SPIRIT. I am a stong believer that being determined to fight goes a long way in helping you recover and beat illness, disease and cancer. I am sure it will just take some time to come to grips with this. I send many blessings, prayers and love to you, your son and your family
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:19 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I would immediately find a group of parents that have children with cancer and connect with them. Your son also needs to be with others young people that have had cancer and beat it. He will meet other kids that have it now that he will go throught this. Search Cafe Mom you will find wonderful people that have been there, and can give you support. They will be able to point your son in the right direction I'm sure. Prayers, and hug across the internet for your whole family.
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 2:25 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• pray
    Anonymous