How do you cope when your child is diagnosed with Cancer?

My 17 year old son was diagnosed with Rectal Cancer. My husband and i are both at a lose and it is tearing us apart inside because there has never been a history of this in either my family or my husbands family. And our son is the healthiest kid i have ever seen. And it has really put my son into a all time low of a mood all he wants to do is sleep. His grades are slipping and his friends have tried to get him out of the house but he wont go. And even his girlfriend can not seem to get through to him and they have been dating for 4 years. They have a surgery scheduled for October 30th to try and remove the cancer. But i am at a lose for what to do right now this has hit my family like a two ton brick wall. It has hit our son worse then everyone else which is understandable. I am not sure what to do. Advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:24 AM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Health

• All three of my children have Common Variable Immune Deficiency. They were diagnosed 21 years ago. The 20 year survival rate is 64%. My grandbaby just turned one and he has just been diagnosed. First you cry and then you take it day by day. It's so sad to think he might not grow up.

My 2 oldest sons' father never helped with their care or visited when they were in the hospital. My youngest son's father filed for divorce the day after his premature birth and we never saw him outside of court again. So I have been a single mom. I became ill while pregnant with my youngest and was diagnosed at the same time as the children. We may be the only family in the US with a parent and all the children having CVID.

CVID is more chronic than rectal cancer. Your son sleeping is normal. We homeschooled. I hope the surgery goes well. You can email me if you'd like. I've also had cervical cancer.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:39 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• There are many cancer support groups that will be a tremendous resource for you.

I hope that the surgery goes well.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:25 AM on Oct. 16, 2009