What all should I consider when having a daycare at my own house?

I have two year old twins and I would love to be able to stay at home and watch kids since I have to be home anyway. I have a large child proof family room and a fenced in play area. I was considering on watching an additional two children for now until my twins are older before I take on more. I am curious to know what all should I consider and how much is the going rate? I would provide snacks, lunch, crafts...what do you think?

AmyLynn5398

Asked by AmyLynn5398 at 6:52 AM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Money & Work

• I think you are nuts. I thought that would be a great idea too, now 5 months later... not so much

Call around to daycares in your area and ask how much they charge a week for the age groups like infant, toddler, preschool..... then go off of that, make yours like maybe $50 cheaper each week. You need to check because you can only have so many kids before you need a liscence for it
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 7:04 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• you need to make up a contract, stating how much you charge, whats provided, and what isnt, also if you want vacations if they are paid or unpaid (my daycare takes 2 weeks, one paid one unpaid). also make a list of any holidays you will be closed. one thing my daycare did that i loved was she had a monthly calendar up that she made, it shows what 2 snacks, and lunch she provided each day...much like a school menu...it was nice to see what she served..as far as price...you need to find out what the going rate is in your area...and the rate typically changes with the age of child...like for my daycare it was 160 a week for babies up to 3yo, then it was 150 a week for children NOT in school, then it was 95 a week for children in school full time.
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 7:31 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Set it up as a business. Like the PP said right a contract and stick to it. My biggest issues were with the parents. Dropping off too early and picking up too late. Bringing sick kids and acting like they had no idea. Not supplying diapers and wipes. I charged 100.00 a week.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• i have a few ideas for you. and feel free to private message me too to talk, because i have been around the block when it comes to this one! 1) make sure you write up a contract and a GOOD one. and MAKE SURE IT IS SIGNED AND RETURNED TO YOU! also make them sill out an allergy sheet! 2) switch all your cleaning products and everything to natural ones. you dont need parents flipping out on your because their kid has a reaction to something that you are using. plus, the parents are going to feel more secure knowing that you are taking their health and safety into consideration. ( i know a great company that has really afforable natural cleaners and let

Des10ed2b

Answer by Des10ed2b at 2:15 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• work from home with them also, let me know if you want that info!)   3) make a daily chart of what you do! whether that be just a dry erase board for parents to come in and look at or a sheet of paper you hand out to see what your learning activities were, what you ate, when you ate, who napped well, etc.  4) keep everything scheduled! keeping a schedule with young kids is one of the best things that you can do! especially when you have a lot of them!
    Des10ed2b