Would eliminating meat and fries in schools make a better school lunch?

From The White House Website:

"NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, do hereby proclaim the week of October 11 through October 17, 2009, as National School Lunch Week. I call upon all Americans to join the dedicated individuals who administer the National School Lunch Program in appropriate activities that support the health and well-being of our Nation's children."

Honoring the National School Lunch week some organizations are airing TV ads about demanding better food in schools.

What would make better school lunches?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:30 AM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• The issue over meat protien vs plant protien is a contriversial one.

I personally believe that lean meats are healthy and can contribute to a healthy diet when combined with whole grains, fresh veggies and fruits, and low fat dairy.

I do think they should get rid of deep fryers. Fries don't HAVE to be bad for you. In fact potatoes have enough potasium in it for the whole day. It's how you prepare them and how often you have them that matters.

I do think school lunches need to be healthier but I also think that if a parent sees that the school lunches aren't healthy that it's the parent's job to pack a healthier one or work with the PTA to push for healthier meals.
    Anonymous

• Vegan does not = better. There are a LOT of fat vegetarians out there because getting the right combination of nutrients is harder work than most people want to do. Combine that with kids who will only eat what they like in an environment where there are no consequences for not eating and you end up with some undernourished kids falling asleep an hour after lunch because they're living on nothing but carbs.

For way too many kids, school breakfast and lunch are the only meals they get all day. It would NOT be responsible to starve them at those two meals.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:33 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• My kids school has been doing healthier lunches for a couple of years already.Unless the kids bring their own lunch with junk then they don't get junk loaded with fatty stuff in the school lunch anymore.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:33 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• That is true NP..there are kids who do not get fed well at all when at home
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:35 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• NP considering that the kids are in school most of the day. I would think that is responsibility of the schools to teach him to eat adequately.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:44 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• No
    LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 8:47 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• it is not the school's responsibility to teach your kid how to eat. sure they get token doses of nutrition in certain classes, but if it is not taught at home....geez! the school can't teach/be responsible for everything for your child. academics is their responsibility, along with parental support. everything else is all on the parent's shoulders.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:58 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Theha: "academics" you said it. Isn't part of academics to teach nutrition. I'm sure that someday some of the students will become doctors specialized on nutrition. I'm just saying!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• If we remove meat and peanut butter what are these kids going to eat for protein. Beans! Is that what you want! The only problem with meat in the school lunches is the quality of it. And plenty of Fries are actually baked. The potatoes is a perfectly healthy vegetable. Maybe your schools are just 30 years behind the times.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Um no. Fries maybe yes but eliminating meat? Thats just dumb.
    Rosesandlilys

Answer by Rosesandlilys at 9:11 AM on Oct. 16, 2009