Could you marry the other side of the aisle?

i was listening to talk radio in the car last night and the topic was so good. could you marry someone who was as strong in their political thinking as you are, but on the other side? a conservative marry a liberal. a pro-abortion person marry a pro-life person and so on. i know there are many interfaith and interracial marriages, but I personally, have never known one married couple to be of different political beliefs. how bout you? could you do it? do you know anyone like this?

jewjewbee

Asked by jewjewbee at 8:33 AM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• As involved in political discussion as we are now - it is best that we are so alike...I had dated people that were very liberal in their views, and it plain just did not work out ( and I wasn't knowingly raised right or left...) but clearly disagreed with the guys I dated...My dad was pro-gun - but I thought everyone in WY was - so it surprised me when I ran across someone who was so opposed to it...yep - that was when I was young and impressionable... :D
    AngelaKay

Answer by AngelaKay at 9:56 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• NO lol probably not...although my husband used to be more democrat then conservative when we were younger...

tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:37 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• i didn't think i had when i married him, but he leans more democrat now. of course, his boss/best friend is a state senator(D)...so i'm guessing he's been influenced a bit.
    i have a client who is extreme repub and her dh is extreme dem--they have learned to steer clear of argumentative issues (how i don't know..heehee). seems like the last time she mentioned something, it was more of a non-issue, because they just don't talk politics with each other. unconditional love!
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:51 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I'm a fiscal conservative and a social liberal. I straddle both sides of the fence as it is!

Since I believe it's extremely important to marry someone with the same morals and values, I don't think I could marry either a 100% conservative or a 100% liberal. Luckily for me, my husband also straddles the fence.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:00 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I don't think I could but i think some can. If you talk about these things and have a period of time to get to know each other before marrying then you'd know if you were compatible.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:10 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I have married the opposite of my views. My husband is against vac. I am not. He is anti-abortion and I am pro-choice (for others), I have mostly independent views which at any given time lean left or right, he is almost all Rep. or just plan against Government all together. We mostly debate civilly and agree to disagree. I don't find it that difficult to be with him, I enjoy his differences in opinion and we both share different points of view. I think it is what keeps us happy, and connected.

We are going to be married 6 years this January.
    LilCaprica

Answer by LilCaprica at 9:30 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I come from a liberal family so political debate is something I'm used to LOL. But in answer to your question, now I wouldn't because I love my husband too much LOL.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 10:04 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• i am independent and have views from both sides of the spectrum.... my dh has different views than me but that doesnt really matter...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 10:06 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Arnold Schwarzeneger and Maria Shriver are complete opposites politically....they seem to have a good marriage but I guess who really knows :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• We are a family of Cubs fans; my sister has been married for almost 25 years to a White Sox fan. Yes, it can work out.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:41 AM on Oct. 16, 2009