Any dieticians here? the cafemom reg.dietary section is closed post 10/01

my 14 y/o has gym class, weightlifting and football practice everyday, and 2 games a week. he drinks almost a gallon of gatorade a day. i've had moms say to me this is too much and the coaches and trainers say, he needs it.
is this too much gatorade? I'm getting a 50/50 with research online.
( 6 ft. tall and 200 lbs.)

jewjewbee

Asked by jewjewbee at 9:16 AM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Health

• I'm a health educator and get daily health news. I know there are several concerns about Gatorade and it having so much sugar and sodium. Pedialyte may be better. G2 has less sugar.

I've read that the military is rationing Gatorade because of an increase of kidney and gallstones. A study in the Journal of Urology concludes that there isn't an increase in stone formation however the study had a very small sample size. Only 12 people drank Gatorade and 12 didn't. I can't belive they published a study with that small of a sample size!

I think a gallon is too much. He can replace some of that Gatorade with water. I live in Tucson in the desert where temps over 100 are common. I think it's supposed to be close to 100 today. You don't see people that are doing sports drinking Gatorade. People drink water. You can get your electrolytes from foods.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:46 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• He should be drinking just as much water. I think. And good health food.

Answer by louise2 at 9:37 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Smart water is a good option to. It's also got electrolytes in it but not sugar or sodium.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:44 PM on Oct. 16, 2009