My toddler is 2 and still REFUSES to get off of the bottle?

I also have other children (ages 5 years and 10 months) and am currently pregnant. My 2 year old is babied alot but he is also treated like a big boy too. He will drink out of a sippy cup every now and then but he still wants his bottle....with milk. What can I do to try to break him from the habit?

kaiandaidensmom

Asked by kaiandaidensmom at 9:17 AM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• give him only water in his bottle and STICK to it!! i know it will be a hard thing and your gonna go crazy listening to him cry but it should work.. lol check back with me in 9 months lol i might not say its so easy when i have to take mine away from my spoiled boy.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 9:21 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Did you take him to the store and let him pick out his own cup?? I switch mine to the cup at age 1 cold tukey..lol. When they pick out their own cup with spiderman or Diego or whoevers cool at that moment, they are so happy to have it. They want to drink out of it all the time. We got one from Walmart where you could put family pictures in it and my daughter loved it. there was a pic of her and DH on one side and one of her big sister on the other. It was the only cup she'd drink out of. Good Luck :)
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 9:23 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Don't give him a bottle. You don't have to give him milk either. Cow's milk is for baby cows. Moo:)
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:25 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Just take it away. Then hand him a sippy cup. That's how I would do it.

Answer by louise2 at 9:30 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• throw his bottle away when he is thristy he will drink from a cup
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• it would be harder with younger kids in the house with bottles he could snatch... i would just warn him tomorrow -- there will be no more bottles, you talked to santa and he said that he wants him to not use a baby bottle any more... that he is just too big and stick to it, just never give in... when you give in... you are making it harder on yourself! stand strong and know all kids get over their bottles. my son is 4 and still loves sports bottles. maybe you could transition him with those... good luck.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 9:45 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• We are letting our child self-weaning. He's 2-1/2. Your 2 y/o also has 2 infants (coming soon) behind him. He won't be a baby forever (Yes, he's a big boy now, in some ways) but if it's his comfort item, I'd let him keep it. Ours only uses the bottle (with milk) for nap and at night-night. Otherwise, he uses a sippy cup. He will drink everything out of a sippy, except milk, because that's his comfort.

IF you are insistent on taking it away, I'd just wean him to night and nap-times, then either lessen the amount in it so he runs out faster, or water it down so he loses interest. Does he use a sippy at all during the day?

BTW, I've never seen a kindergartner with a bottle. Your son may very well ditch it himself, a little while after the baby comes if he aligns himself as a "big boy" with your oldest vs. the other 2 babies. Good luck, Mama, and Congratulations on your coming addition! Hope this helps!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:57 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Gailll, since cow's milk is for baby cows, I was wondering if you leave all meat to the lions, and all bread to the birds, and all veggies to the sheeps and goats? Just kidding!

Do you/did you breast-feed? :) I only hear that from breast-feeding moms, just wondering.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 10:01 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Past the age of two, the only beverage humans need is water. Give him a sippy cup with water, tell him that bottles and milk are for babies and he is a big boy.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:28 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• So? What's the big deal? He's 2. He'll stop his bottle habit eventually :) I've never seen an adult walking around with a bottle yet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Oct. 16, 2009