Did he not realize that in his line of work he would be expected to serve all sorts of people?

I didn't know people could refuse to give someone a marriage license and it be okay? He talks like it's not a real issue to the couple or many other interracial couples around the world.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091016/ap_on_re_us/us_interracial_rebuff

Sorry I don't know how to make this clickable.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• This is the most disturbing thread that I have read today. Yet another reason why I hate living in the Deep South not that ignorant people aren't everywhere- but they seem to be concentrated here- or maybe more overt. Psycho Anon- He WAS breaking the law. The supreme court already ruled on this in 1960s for Christ's sake. He works for the government, he can't discriminate- if he was a private church pastor it would be different- but hes not.

"The The Supreme Court ruled as far back as 1963 that the government cannot tell people who they can and cannot marry."

The ACLU was preparing a letter for the Louisiana Supreme Court, which oversees the state justices of the peace, asking them to investigate Bardwell and see if they can remove him from office, Schwartzman said.

"He knew he was breaking the law, but continued to do it," Schwartzman said.

ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 11:27 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• yes he can refuse to marry a couple just like a church doesnt have to let you get married in their church . Get over it I agree with him
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Discrimination at its best, but at least they can go elsewhere and get married

Answer by older at 10:13 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Sorry ANON - but he was breaking the law. He can refuse all he wants but he'll probably loose his job. Telling someone you won't give them a license to marry is against the law.

Also it's a moot point that you agree - you're entitled to agree however if you're in a line of work such as this gentleman is and you wish to keep it then that means you'll have to serve all people including interracial couples.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• NO he isnt breaking the law you can refuse anyone service he doesnt have to accept them or their money.

Yall need to relize freedom of speech and freedom to believe how you chose no matter how much you hate it.
    I agree with him blacks and whites shouldnt marry same as mexican white mexican asian asian black black mexican ect.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• how mature
    Yoou 2 annos need to grow up and relize not everyone believes with the way things are . I am reporting you for your language.
    Oh and anon I am a brunette and have brown Eyes.
    My husband has sandy blonde hair and green eyes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• how mature
    ---
    Lol sorry you dont get examples. Hitler thought perfect was blonde hair blue eyes ... u think its marrying your own race ... i hope ur kids bring home someone OTHER than white! LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• NO they wont. I can tell you that right now.
    If you want to get down to it I could fill you in on our families history and our way of life.
    Oh and how even in the 1950s my husbands family still had Ii guess policitcally correct would be called "hired help"

You want to get technical about our family you would see that it will never happen.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Oh nad the "hired help" loved the family.
    They even came to grandmother funeral and were more heartbroken over her dieing then some of the family.
    They sat there laughing with us talking about old times and stories.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I never said anything about freedom of speech or freedom to believe in what want. Go back and re-read, I never said he didn't have any freedom. With such freedoms comes consequences. You tell someone you're not going to give them a marriage license (because of your said beliefs) is apart of your "freedom" however you just might find yourself jobless in the process.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Oct. 16, 2009