Question for Catholic Moms...

Do you ever find yourself going through the motions in Mass? I really try to stay focused most times, but with my 4 year old it is hard. I find myself repeating the creed while thinking about what she is doing, or how I am going to keep her entertained through the rest of the Mass, or whatever.

So much of our services are repeated- while I find comfort in the routine- sometimes I wonder if I am becoming like the Pharises- going through the motions and being legalistic without having the heart. I found this quote and I think about it alot.

It is better to say one Our Father fervently and devoutly than a thousand with no devotion and full of distraction. -- St. Edmund

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• That was part of the reason we stopped going altogether,,,my 2 year old has the attention of a hummingbird and we spent more time in the "crying" room - where let's be honest, no one is thinking about Christ in there...their kids are crying and some moms even seem mortified that their children are behaving this way in public...and certain members of mass seem very intolerant of families with noisy children....idk...
    AngelaKay

Answer by AngelaKay at 10:06 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I feel the same why, but you also have to remember that God knows your heart and you are not doing it purposefully. Its better to bring your kids to mass either way. A mother is the soul of a family. It will eventually change, this is just "the now" not forever.
    devo3

Answer by devo3 at 10:08 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• It is hard but it is also temporary. When we would start to feel disconnected we would go to separate masses so whoever wasn't at Mass was at home with the kids.
    erdavh

Answer by erdavh at 11:25 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Yes, but as was said, it's temporary. There was a time when my husband and I would to a "tag team" approach - one goes to Mass and the other stayed home with the babies. But brining to kids to Mass also helps them get use to the routines as well. Sometimes it's helpful to prepare yourself for Mass before hand - look at the scripture readings before hand, things like that. And if you're aware it's happening, then you can stop and begin to pay more attention. I've been to a Mass where I was distracted at one point then deeply moved at another point.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 1:14 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Yes, when that happens I still do the family Mass but will go by myself to an extra Mass or say a rosary before Mass. I might find an adoration site during the week if I feel I am very disconnected.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 1:32 PM on Oct. 16, 2009