I called the child abuse hotline today & now I feel so guilty. Did I make the right decision?

On Wed. my former boss called me & said that she lost her job this week & needed $50 till Fri to feed her son (he's about 2yrs old) & buy him underwear. I couldn't understand how/why a person who just lost her $80K job wouldn't have food & clothes in the house, but she sounded like she really needed help. I Western Unioned $75. She called later & said she bought the baby Popeye's chicken, cheese doodles & some underwear. Then she told me her house was robbed this wk, so she stayed home to report it & her job fired her over the phone. Also she said her ex called CPS on her when he found out she lost her job, so she needed the cash I sent so that the baby was fed. Then at 4am she called me again & left a v/m that she needed another $75 - this time she sounded drunk or stoned or something. I didn't pick up the calls after that, but I was worred that I gave $ to drug addicted mom. I called CPS. Did I do the right thing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Oct. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• You did the right thing. At the very least, this mom is in need of help, something more reliable than begging for money, twice in one day no less, from former employees to support her child, and they can help her. At the most, this child is in an unsafe environment with a mom who's strung out or whatever, and needs to be in a more stable environment.

Look at it like this, which is worse, to call and have it be nothing, or not call, and have something happen to the child.... What would weigh longer on your conscience?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Only you know if you did the right thing.
    If you would have done nothing would you have felt even worse?
    If it were me I would have called, but I might have stopped in on her first if you live close enough, and if someone was able to watch my kids.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 10:23 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I would've called as well. I agree, there is no reason to have an 80k job, get fired, and have absolutely nothing in the house. At least if nothing turns out wrong to CPS, you know. It's better safe than sorry.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 10:28 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I dont know where she lives exactly - she didn't tell me, but I have her #, that's the info. that I gave. Also I didn't add before I called someone else that worked with us that was friends with her & she said that my former boss has been calling the whole department for at least 3wks now asking for $ & was calling at all hrs in the morning & night begging for cash. The alerted everyone in that dept. not to pick up her calls. Since I switched departments I had no idea.

Your answer made me feel a little better, b/c I did feel horrible the last couple of days worrying about her baby. At least now I did something to possibly help him. On the other hand my fiance thinks I should have minded my business b/c I really don't know what's going on.
    Anonymous

• sounds like you did. I could see how you would feel guilty because its a child and his mother, but you were concerned, if there really is nothing there then cps won't take the child.
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 10:30 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Thank you all so much - I needed some reassurance b/c I've been second guessing my decision all morning, especially when my fiance sided against me.

I have a 2yr old too, so the thought of losing my child b/c of a false accusation is making my stomach sick. On the other hand, if I was addicted - I'd want someone to reach out & help my baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Yes, she needs help and obviously her child was going to suffer for it. Don't feel bad, Her husband had already called on her so they will be checking anyway. Hopefully now that you called they will get on the stick. You should not give her any more money. Do not get sucked into this. You are doing her a favor. She may not see it that way but her child will be better off. Hopefully she can get help and a job and get her life back together.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:46 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Anytime you think anything could be wrong and a child is involved CALL SOMEONE!! You did the right thing. There are so many people who look the other way because they think theyre meddling. And so many children who are hurt because everyones looking the other way.
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 10:48 AM on Oct. 16, 2009