Do you have an overweight baby?

and so what? I'm not talking morbidly obese here, but I don't see why its such a big deal to people. I think I would be more concerned of real skinny babies. What's your take on it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son is 6 months and is 21lbs and 30inches long, he wears 9-18 month clothes his bmi is 18 hes not overweight....yeah some bitch said my son was fat but im sry your 1 yr old is underweight at 13lbs geezus the nerve of some people!!!
    sweet.lil.mama

Answer by sweet.lil.mama at 10:30 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Overweight babies become overweight kids become overweight adults. We are talking formula fed. We know this because the first generations of formula fed babies are now the older people and they have been followed by long health studies.

If you are going to formula feed your baby then you should at least make sure you keep then from being overweight. Formula feeding has many long term health and development consequences and keeping your baby from being overweight is one you can do something about.

You can overfeed a breastfed baby but it is very rare. The long term health consequences of overweight breastfed babies aren't known.

Overweight kids has become a 'huge' health problem in the US>

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:46 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I think that there is a huge difference in an overweight baby and a 'big' baby. My friends son was in the 95% in height and the 89% weight. He didn't start to look 'slim' until he was almost 2 and was still in the same percentiles. To look at him you would think he was WAY to heavy as a baby but he was just very big. An over weight baby no matter what you are feeding them is though to call. It's when they start on the table foods that they have the tendency to get large if served the 'wrong' foods to often or are not as active as the 'should' be. JMO
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:51 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I could not get my kids over weight. I have skinny kids... My dd has been in the "10%" for her weight since she was 6 months old, she is very healthy, very active and takes after daddy who weighs 175 at 26 and 6'3. Our oldest son used to be in the 30-50% for weight but has now dropped to the 10% and he is very healthy and active as well. I think that as long as your child is healthy and able to walk, eat when hungry, not be force fed... authorities should leave us all alone. If your doc however has a concern about babies weight, I would concider asking what you should do for him. My dd's doc however has said that she is just fine even though WIC thinks I need to "fatten" her up.
    mammacjjc85

Answer by mammacjjc85 at 10:52 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I like how Gail always states that formula fed babies are fat! That may be the case, however just cause we have fatter babies doesn't mean they grow up to be fat. My son was such a chunk as a baby, and now he is 5 and is 41lbs. My daughter is almost 5 months and is 19lbs. I myself was a fat baby, 35lbs at a year, and by no means am I overweight now at the age of 32. I never had a weight issue. When my son was 18 months he got very sick and had to take hime to the ER. We were told that thank god he was overweight because his illness could've been alot harder on him if he was skinny.
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 11:03 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• To the person that brought up formula feeding...I just dont agree with it. I think it is the parents OVERALL eating habits that affect a child later in life. If you formula feed but teach your child good eating habits from toddler to teenage years, they will be more likely to keep up this healthy wayof life. If you let your toddler eat unhealthy snacks, they get used to it. If you teach them to eat veggies/fruits with every meal, introduce them to unusual veggies like different squashes, have them eat lean fish and chicken at least half of the time, and have desserts be a TREAT and not a way of life, then the problem is solved right there. How many adults use mcdonalds as a time saver?? I was formula fed but my dad has always eaten good and I learned from him...Alot of it also goes with your genes. if your parents are overweight you will have a bigger chance to be as well.
    CurvyMommato1

Answer by CurvyMommato1 at 11:04 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Overweight babies become overweight kids become overweight adults. We are talking formula fed.

That is bull
    I know a breastfed baby that is 35 lbs at 5 months
    Why bash formula fed babies when breastfed babies can be overfed too?
    An over weight baby is very very unhealthy and you dont usually see a unhealthy skinny baby some of them just start off with high matbilisomeSP??? sorry for the spelling.
    My son Elijah has always been skinny really skinny since the day he was born but he eats like a cow.
    Overweight babies have serious health problems that they can and most likely will face
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 11:28 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• gailll that's a load of shit
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:30 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• gailll you are so full of crap it's not even funny!!!

You can't over feed a formula fed baby any more than you can over feed a breast fed baby! How in the hell can you MAKE a baby drink more of either? You CAN'T. If you find a way to force feed them and over fill their stomachs, they PUKE IT BACK UP. I am so sick of you posting crap! You DON'T know it all, far from it apparently.

That said, my kids were all above the 99th percentile for weight as infants. You might consider them "overweight" but their pediatrician didn't. They have since slimmed out and I can't find jeans skinny enough for them. So screw your "over weight babies become over weight kids, etc" bull shit!!!!
    Anonymous

• I had one chubby and one little guy... both soo cute, both healthy active normal sized 10 and 14 year olds. When my older brother was a baby, he was HUGE, as an adult he is normal sized, but does have to work at it and watch what he eats. As a baby you do not have that luxury, as an adult, you have more control over your weight. I think a big baby does not mean a big adult... it MAY mean an adult that puts on weight easily and has to be more careful than those that are naturally "thin". JMO
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 1:15 PM on Oct. 16, 2009