how do i discipline an aggressive "terrible" two year old??

my son could care less about a spanking and time out doesn't work....HELP!

Asked by mjandme at 11:09 AM on Jun. 24, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If you yell a lot, you have to stop. If you remain calm for all different kinds of situations, they will learn to handle things the same way. I know it's easier said than done though. They usally react to things the way they've been taught. Change your ways and he will probably change his too :)

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:11 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Pick and choose your battles, only certain things need time out, the rest : ignore it to keep your sanity. A play pen might work to force a two min. time out. I think I read a book called 1-2-3 magic that my doctor recommended. good luck!

Answer by aggybee at 11:43 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• You have to be consistent & choose your battles. If you yell a lot normally, they won't respond to a "NO", so you'll have to be creative. If you're going to spank, make sure he's getting one for being BAD, not annoying. If you're going to give time outs, MAKE him stay there. If he gets up, put him back... 100 times if you have to. And when the time-out is over, remind him why he was there in the first place. Also, a lot of moms tend to use too many words. Keep it simple, "Do not hit the dog." or "Do not bite your sister." or "Stay by mommy." are direct "orders" that he will understand. If you try to say stuff like "Stay by mommy so she doesn't lose you and you'll get kidnapped..." they won't pay attention.

Answer by crazysocks830 at 12:33 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• You might want to consider taking him to a homeopathic doctor for homeopathic medicine. It helped my aggressive 6yr old girl immensely. Sometimes it's a nutritional issue. You might get testing done thru homeopath to see what your child might be lacking. It also might be too much sugar. Eileen

Answer by EileenMarie at 12:50 PM on Jun. 24, 2008