Do you think about this much IRL?

On here, we all go crazy over vaccines, daycare and breastfeeding. I am as guilty as anyone. But it got me thinking: In real life (IRL) does this really affect you so much? Do you fuss and argue with your friends about it? Are you not friends with people that raise their kids differently than you do? Would you shun a friend you suddenly found out vaccinated or did not breastfeed? If you are a SAHM, are all of your friends SAHM too?

wildboyz1994

Asked by wildboyz1994 at 10:41 AM on Oct. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• I believe and do what is best for my children. As any mother I have strong feelings and op's on what is best for children. I have been a parent since 1986 and I have 5 children. I nursed my kids, I vaxed my kids...none with delays or Autisim, I punished my children when I felt it was necessary and I put them in Catholic school. I love my children, and I realize that even if a parent has different views on parenting than I do, that does not mean they love their children any less. I give advice when asked, and shut up when not asked. I would never not befriend a mother due to choices such as these I have mentioned. Only in the event of abuse and or neglect would I ever say or do something. I have 5 beautiful, smart, productive children who have good morals and manners. Seeing that they do is MY job...not the job of others. Nor is it MY job to see others children are the same as mine.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:43 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• No, I love people with different ideas. We can learn from each other. That is why I'm in CM.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:44 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• To be honest, I have no idea which of my friends BF in the past or vax... it really plays no role in my interaction with them. My kids are older and fully vaxed so non-vaxed kids are not an issue. I hate the sound of anyone slurping, be it a baby or my kids eating cereal... so when my friends BF ( i have a few coworkers with babies and see them socially once in a while) , I usually just find something else to do since I hate the sound and I can not get on the baby for slurping like I get on my kids ;) I am a working Mom, but some of my neighbors stay home and we are friendly since we are neighbors.
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 10:45 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I had a friend drop me because of differences of opinion about abortion and Obama, it was too bad and made me sad.
    tpickle

Answer by tpickle at 10:49 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I have no problem discussing differences with friends and family in real life. We listen to each others views politely and agree to disagree. What bugs the snot out of me is people who hide beind the WWW and slam others, cuss at others, and put others down because they do not think and do like they want them to. I hate cowards who hide behind the anonymous nature of the internet. You CAN disagree AND be respectful.....IJS
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 12:38 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• haha this is were I find the humor in CM. How someone else raises there child is no concern of mine as long as they are fed, clothed and not abused!!!! I just laugh when people here get so upset about OTHER PEOPLES CHOICES FOR THEIR OWN KIDS! And thats how I am with my friends in real life. And we all do things very differently.... Big deal, we all love our kids and care for them.
    KatieP.

Answer by KatieP. at 12:41 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I have these types of discussions all the time in real life, the only subject that i never have discussions about is circumcision because it just doesn't exist in my culture. I have friend from all walks of life and i like it that way. We discuss things without it turning into huge drama like it does here.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 12:52 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Its not something that comes up often with my friends or myself. Its not a big deal to me in all honesty.

I have friends who do things differently then I do, parenting-wise. We have discussions occasionally but its usually brought up cuz of something we read or heard somewhere.

Never had arguments over our differences and we respect each other.

Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:15 PM on Oct. 16, 2009