clipping my dogs nails

my dog brutus use to be great about getting his nails clipped but we took him to the vet once and they cut it way to short and made him bleed, now he is horrible about letting us cut them. he puts up a big fight.. what can i do to calm him down.

ALLIE637

Asked by ALLIE637 at 10:47 AM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Pets

• Oh gosh, brutus--sounds like a big dog? They actually make an herbal doggie valium, whole foods. My shitzu hates his nails trimmed, but we take him to a dog groomer, $7 and they actually have alot more experience than the vet, I tried myself but both doggie and I stressed, why don't you call and see how much the charge? Even if Brutus gets nervous, they will be alot faster at it, less time for him to be stressed! Good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:12 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• omg! i have the same problem! i'm about to find out what that herbal dog valum stuff is. i have an amstaff and it's like he turns into a bull or something! i have to mussle him and tie his leash to the fence and hold him against it. i like taking him to the vet to do it, but i hate to pay them for it. if i can get a really strong guy to hold him down it's alot easier. good luck & don't give up on the poor baby.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 11:20 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• PS I forgot to tell you if you walk him on the sidewalk, that keeps their nails from having to be trimmed so much as well, kind of like how your feet feel smooth after walking on the sand!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:26 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I have done this with many dogs. You have to break it down into steps but it does work. I would put him on a leash so that he can't take off and sit down on the floor with him. Get some high end to treats and the nail clippers (do not use them) and show him the clippers and give him a treat until he is comfortable with the sight of them. I would do this in short session and end on a good note. When he is okay there take the clippers and touch his foot with them and give him a treat. Do this until he will leave his foot there and allow the clippers to touch him. When he is comforatable with that take his foot and give him a treat. If he jerks his foot away a lot practice picking up his foot and rewarding him. If he is okay with you picking up his foot take the clippers and clip one nail then give him a jackpot( more then one treat) and tell him what a good boy he is. Then walk away.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 12:39 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I know this sounds like a lot of work but most dogs are allowing their nails to be clipped by the end of the week as long as you are consistant and you work with him every day (short sessions).
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 12:41 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• My dog hates it too. I traumatized her bad lol....At my work, if the groomer has a troublesome dog, she uses a dremel. It takes longer but its not like an instant scary SNAP on their nails. Also make sure youre using good clippers. Those stupid ones that work like a guilletine (sp) suck: http://www.pet-bliss.com/acatalog/SafariGuillotineNailTrimmerSmallImage.jpg
    Make sure you use ones like this:
    http://www.jollypuppy.com/assets/gepets/nailclippers.jpg
    Elijahsmommy9

Answer by Elijahsmommy9 at 1:27 PM on Oct. 16, 2009