How much of solids should be given after baby is used to eating?

After my baby has had all of the 1st Foods, do I just continue to give him these with some cereal/oatmeal? I was told that starting solids is just trying them out and they do not need meals from solids. When should I start giving him an entire jar of veggies or fruits?

My son is 61/2 months and started solids a few weeks ago and hes not sitting up by himself so I am not going to the 2nd foods yet. He drinks 32 ounces of formula a day.

Im just not sure how much cereal and food he should be having now that he is used to it and eating it really well. Feels like he would just eat and eat and eat if I let him. He is alot longer than average and has always eaten a bit more than what the average is.

CurvyMommato1

Asked by CurvyMommato1 at 10:54 AM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You are doing good on formula. A 6 month old should be getting 20-30 ounces of formula a day.

Food is not 'just trying it out.' Since your baby is formula fed he should be having meals. He is over 6 months and doesn't need commercial foods. He can eat foods you mash or blend. He doesn't need cereal if he is eating other food high in iron like meat. Baby cereal is highly processed, high in carbs, and has lots of additives.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:10 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know nothing about). Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many are now recommending skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    The best book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families is called Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. You should be able to find it at your local library. There is some great information on the website: www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 11:53 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Okay but how much of these foods...
    CurvyMommato1

Answer by CurvyMommato1 at 12:34 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• My son is 6 month too, born 4.6.09. he has been eating since 5.5 months. I do this, but breastfeed. Milk, then half jar of fruit or veggie and milk, milk, then fruite or veggie again and milk, milk then Veggie and Rice Cereal or Ceral alone and Fruit and Milk and then put him down with my boob... if he is eating more like the 1st foods jar, always just add the formula too like normal. He will let you know when he is full. It's always best to do more milk than food though, as the food is not upposed to be the man source of his nurishment, the milk is - GL!
    J98

Answer by J98 at 4:35 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• PLUS! Do Earth's Best food. It doesn;t have preservatives, and no chemicals... it's a little more, but wayyy better for your baby :) GL!
    J98

Answer by J98 at 4:37 PM on Oct. 16, 2009