I need tips/advice on making a behavior chart and/or reward system

We want to implement some sort of behavior chart and reward system for our 3-year old to help with his behavior and reward him for when he's good, but also "punish" him when he's not so good. Anyone have experience with this? What has worked for you?

I'm thinking maybe making a chart that lists several things we can work on every day (like brushing teeth, putting toys away, eating dinner, saying please and thank you without being prompted, not talking back etc...) and for each thing he does good he gets a star or a "token" of some kind that goes into a jar. Then he can cash in tokens for different prizes.

I guess I'm just curious what others are doing with their 3-yr olds and what's working - or not working. Thanks! :)

sunback

Asked by sunback at 11:08 AM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 11:21 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• At 3 a little too young to understand different charts and graphs, Every time my son did something good we had a board that he got a gold star, didn't matter what, 20 gold stars and we had an adventure--Chucky Cheese, a trip to the dollar store where he got something, a tootsie pop. When he was not well behaved a star came off, it worked well and was simple enough for him to understand, as the stars grow, the behaivor got better--LOL He didn't mind losing one so much when there was 3 but when there was 15 or so what an angel. I think at 3 they are trying to find their own way in the world, and punishment was still a time out for 3 minutes plus the star, but I didn't give him time outs for not saying please thankyou without being prompted (its hard to remember MOM) just for thing like throwing toys, not doing things after 2 or 3 times of asking and being rude! Good luck Mommy--give him a hug from me!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:23 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• my SS likes the sticker chart. we used it for potty training. he knows that when he fills it up (for going #2 in the potty) he gets a prize. i'm thinking of also using it for behavior, but i only wanted to do one at a time to start. let me know how it works!
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 11:32 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• there are tons of ideas for behavior charts online - just google it, that's what I did when I was creating one for my kids. You can customize them to suit your needs. The one we used was a system called "Handy Points" - but my kids are older and it was a system where you keep track of everything online. At 3, I would definitely suggest a physical chart that he/she can see.

Answer by missanc at 11:35 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• GoalForIt.com

I make my 3 1/2 yr olds chore charts here! She loves them!
    Anonymous