what other things

can my 8 month old eat besides baby foods? is she able to eat any adult food? i mean im oviously not gonna give her steak lol but is there anything she can eat when we go to restaurants or should i just stick with baby food still? what did you all feed your 8 month olds?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• any vegetable mashed up
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Graham crackers are good because they dissolve when they get wet. They were the first thing I gave to my son. Cheerios are also good.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:47 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know nothing about). Great early foods are: avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula), Baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    The best book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families is called Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. You should be able to find it at your local library. There is some great information on the website: www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 11:48 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• im just so afraid to give her anything bc we had a choking scare with the gerber puffs and theyre supposed to dissolve quickly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Babies never need to eat commercial baby food. Yes, she can and should eat steak. Babies need iron from meat and it should be part of their diet. What I do for my grandson is save some steak in the fridge. When it is cold it is easy to slice very thin, almost like the thickness of shaved ham. Then I let him fed himself. His favorite meal is steak, rice, and sweet potato.

Things people think they should give kids when they are out are often bad like - french fries, fried chicken fingers, soda, any drink other than water.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:48 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• All foods are for nutrition. I don't know how this crazy idea got started that foods before 1 are for experience, learning, fun, ect.

The things your baby eats are nutritious. If you are breastfeeding remember that food is replacing breastmilk. The second half of the first year the baby starts needing more iron. That's why they add iron to baby cereal. It's better is baby gets it from meat or other foods.

The baby's brain growth is very rapid from 6-12 months. Nutrition is very important. It is even more important for formula fed babies. This is a time where you can help make up for some of the disadvantage your baby is at by feeding your baby superfoods.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:55 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Cottage cheese, mashed potatoes, any mashed up veggie, mac and cheese. And I cannot believe someone just said to give your 8m old steak....omg. A restaruant is NOT going to shave your steak for you for your child. Wow! ok. lol Baby food IS necessary to get them used to eating something other than drinking milk. It IS a learning expierence.
    sweettigeress

Answer by sweettigeress at 12:06 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I just went in for my sons 6 month and he said he can eat anything now Except, Eggs, Milk, Nuts, Citrus and Chocolate! Does she have teeth yet? That makes a differnce too. If no teeth, than makes ure everything is very pureed and soft enough to swollo without chocking. Mashed REALLY well! Once she gets teeth in, she can eat things a little more tthick. :)
    J98

Answer by J98 at 4:29 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• she only has her 2 bottom teeth
    Anonymous

• My daughter is 9 months and is mostly on table food. She just got her bottom teeth last week. I think it all depends on the child, and how well they can "chew" their food. I would giver your lil one some cooked veggies cut small, or anything soft enough for her to eat but together enough for her to pick up. I know with my lil one the reason we started on foods was because she wanted to do everything by herself. She does great. She cant eat steak but she has had chicken and beef. I know graduates have a lot of foods for babies learning how to chew and pick up foods, (yogurt melts, puffs, wagon wheels, etc) I started with the puffs and actually broke them in half at first till she got the hang of it.
    Newmom11309

Answer by Newmom11309 at 10:52 PM on Oct. 17, 2009