What to do if you haven't been paid?

Say you work in a small setting. You like your boss. Profits are down. You do payroll & all the bills. There's not enough money to pay the bills, the staff or yourself? How long do you wait? You need the money badly. Its been over month. Student loans & bills come right out of your account at home! Now you have no money. What can you do!? You've been understanding. But life goes on.. Your boss has the money out of personal funds. Which means he can pay everyone but makes poor choices and decides not to! So no one is being paid. What can you do? You like your job & the business. But you can't go without pay.

Angellinda

Asked by Angellinda at 11:44 AM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Money & Work

• kinda like being a sahm, we work hard but don't get paid
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Contact the state department of labor immediately, then start your job search. We have lots of great tips and support at the CafeMom Job Hunting Moms Group: http://www.cafemom.com/group/jobhuntingmoms

Answer by rkoloms at 11:46 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I wouldn't work more than 2 weeks without being paid. If you NEED the money start looking for something else. ALSO keep track of ALL your hrs and money you haven't been paid so you can file legal actions later if you need to. If you like your boss you should be able to have an open conversation about being paid and all that stuff. GOOD LUCK!!!
    rocamom

Answer by rocamom at 12:12 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I hope you find something soon. I know I'm blessed to have lawyers take car of situations like this.

I work at home more than outside(big chaines) so I dont know how it is to work in a small company like that.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 12:22 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• You need to call the state labor department. They will take care of the matter very quickly.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 12:30 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Call the labor department.

PAYROLL is the business' first responsibility. If the business cannot make payroll, then cuts need to be made.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:18 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Contact the Federal Wage & Hour Board. They got me my money the same DAY I made the complaint

Answer by admckenzie at 2:42 PM on Oct. 16, 2009