ok i'm in BIG TROUBLE here...

i have been abusing prescription pills for about a year now and i have tried to detox myself. i got so sick yesterday i was vomiting, real bad hot flashes, stomache pains, diarreha. so i gave in and took one. i talked to my sister and her boyfriend who is a nurse and he told me to cut back slowly, but i want to get off these now. i have been so depressed with my mother on her death bed, my son wanting everything his way or no way. my DD is just wonderful about everything, and my boyfriend is trying to be supportive, but he is hardly around he works from morning to night. i'm getting to the point where i'm just ready to give up on everything. please help. please no bashing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Oct. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• Hun, you didn't get hooked on these things overnight it took some time, listen to your sisters boyfriend and do it slowly, you can do this, and I wish you the best outcome!

Answer by older at 11:52 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• You have to cut back slowly, you are only going to make things worse doing it fast, you might be able to get off them but will go right back to them, You know this wont be an easy struggle so you have to be ready to fight no matter what it takes! You have to know this is what you want to do because this will be a life stuggle, and you will always want to go back to them and you need to find a reason not to and think of it everytime you think of haveing one, Good Luck to you!
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 11:54 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• You can:
    a) cut back slowly and it take some time or you can :
    b) detox but not on your own. You will need to check into a substance abuse facility or send the kids away for a weekend and you and boyfriend and another close willing friend stay with you to help you through the vomiting and possible delusions.

Either way it can be done. Either way it will be hard and there will be stumbling blocks. Either way you risk possible relapses. Either way it's your choice. YOU CAN DO THIS!! Be thankful you have such wonderful support!
    Anonymous

• group hugI agree with anon 11:03

Answer by admckenzie at 1:56 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I used to be on methadone for pain management. I took it as prescribed but was on a high dose. Long story short the Dr and I didn't get along I decided to needed to get off them. I went cold turkey. It took about two weeks of chills, vomiting etc. But I'm not on anything anymore and it's been years. I did it completely alone but I do pretty much everything alone. If you have a friend or someone you trust I think that would be helpful. You should do what you feel is best. Tapering off is the easiest method. Less stress on the body. Perhaps talk to your Dr.
    Anonymous

• I don't have advice, just some supportive words. Don't give up! You can overcome this obstacle and you have a great support system. I wish you the best and just take one day at a time.

There is a website called www.healthboards.com and they have boards for addiction.  There, you can speak with other people in your situation, so maybe you can find some support there also.

Good luck.

BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:59 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• ::::HUGS:::: I know how hard it is, I helped my husband get off meth. YOU CAN DO THIS! :) Be strong and realize that you may have set backs but that it will all be worth it in the end when you finally realize, HEY I haven't had a pill in a week, a month, a year!!!
    Anonymous

• you can do it mama. it is going to be slow and you are going to feel beat up but if you couldn't handle, you wouldn't be. speak with a dr that youknow won't judge you and see if they can offer you something as well. the first step to admitting you have a problem is admitting that and you did it. --hugz!--
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 2:23 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Prayers ur way
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 2:42 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• You can do it. GOOD LUCK AND I suggest getting your doctors help and also listening to your brother and sister
    MAKEMYDAY101

Answer by MAKEMYDAY101 at 2:54 PM on Oct. 16, 2009