Do you consider NASCAR a sport?

I hear so many people call it a sport, whether it be on TV or out somewhere. I don't consider it anywhere near a sport, and here's why: to me, a sport involves using your body in more than one aspect AND getting exercise. Driving around in a car going as fast as you can doesn't count as exercise.

ajtherad

Asked by ajtherad at 11:55 AM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Turn left, turn left, turn left......no I do not consider it a sport. I don't get it at all. My friend told me he goes to the races to see the wrecks. This I don't get either. It may not be an easy thing to do, but I personally have better things to do than sit in front of a tv and watch cars go in a circle for hours. That is about as exciting to me as watching paint dry.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:38 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Oh yes it is a sport, and the amount of strength needed to control those cars is high!

Answer by older at 11:57 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• idk....but i live in the south, so i wouldnt say otherwise out loud hahaha
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 11:58 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I'm torn, I agree with you on the actually moving your body thing, but I'm sure those drivers sweat up a storm and their adrenaline is pumping so IDK. I guess if I used that logic, sex and cleaning my house listening to music would be a sport too!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• No

Answer by louise2 at 12:07 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Absolutely not.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 12:10 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I agree with Older. Not only the strength to control the cars, but the drivers have to be in great physical condition in order to get themselves out of the car in the event of an accident. Unbuckling a 5 point harness and getting yourself out of a window that is maybe 18" x 18" all while wearing a large helmet, neck stabilizing brace and fire retatrdent clothing in a matter of less than a minute is not an easy task.
    ljmcmichael

Answer by ljmcmichael at 12:17 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Yes, it takes skill, like horse racing and falconry.
    Anonymous

• Yes, because not just anybody can be good at it. I would say it is a harder sport because you have to be more mentally on top of your game instead of physical. And I know that I would rather be more physically worn out than mentally!
    Anonymous