Losing my mucus plug

Ok, i am 36 alost 37 wks, and i am starting to lose my plug, how long does it "normally" take after u start to lose your plug should you expect to go into labor? Also i am having a hard time telling the difference between BHcontractios and REAL contractions... i guess that sounds wierd, but i have a pretty high pain tolerance and mine are hurting pretty bad, and its hard for me to talk thru them or even walk during one, but its hard to tell when they come and go b/c i am so busy at work. And i cant really seem to relax because its almost like i am always in some sort of pain? This is obviously my first pregnancy and the Drs arent alot of help, they just keep telling me "oh thats normal, you'll know when your really in labor"!
Any suggestions? Oh one more thing, i cant get rid of heartburn to save my life, nothing works? any suggestions there??

c0rpsman4life

Asked by c0rpsman4life at 12:18 PM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You shouldnt expect to go in to labor after losing your plug.
    You can lose it more than once.
    LOL and sorry to say but you will know when you are in active labor LOL
    It is frustrating I know to be told that . I just had my second and I hated hearing it LOL
    The heartburn if it is to bad you can ask your dr for something to help
    Also try a glass of milk or even some toast.
    My husband swears lemonade helps his heartburn
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 12:21 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I lost mine and never went into labor! I ended being induced.
    Try pepcid for the heartburn - my Dr said it was ok.
    liruha

Answer by liruha at 12:37 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I had some pretty bad Braxton Hicks there at the end, but the actually feeling of Braxton Hicks and real contractions, to me, didn't feel anything alike. Braxton Hicks felt like a tightening of my belly and contractions were like menstrual cramps, only more painful. Make sure you're drinking enough water and try to relax some. I noticed they were worse on days that I was really busy. I used prescription Zantac (300 mg) for the heartburn and I slept on my side, propped up on 3 pillows.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 1:27 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• i think they aren't real contractions. if they were real contractions, you would go into labor and then eventually have your baby. they would keep getting more and more intense and getting closer together. what you are having sound like early labor contractions which can be intense but don't get closer and closer and closer consistently over an hour or so. sometimes early labor contractions can lead right into active labor and sometimes it can still be days or weeks. for me, i never had any early labor until the night before my son was born, but i have known women to have them for a couple of weeks. gl =)
    Anonymous

• oh, i meant to say for the mucus plug, i lost mine 3 days before my son was born, but i know it's possible to lost it weeks before too. =) i dont know what the 'average' is.
    Anonymous

• i havent went into labor with this pregnancy yet unfortunately but with my first one i remember waking up and saying im so not walking today. i had major leg cramps and about an hour later i got woke back up and i thought i had diarrhea (not trying to be gross) but you know the cramping pain you feel when you have to go to the bathroom BADLY thats how i felt.....i went in the bathroom 5 times and nothing happened and thats when it hit me....ummm you are 2 weeks past due...start timing. and sure enough i was in active labor. i was 17 then and way more brave on that pregnancy than am on this one. kinda funny
    snobunnie5698

Answer by snobunnie5698 at 9:02 PM on Oct. 16, 2009