Daughter will be 2 Jan. 4th and is still RF due to weight, would you turn her?

My daughter is tiny (16lbs 12oz at her last weight check) and will be 2 Jan. 4th. We have kept her RF because it was safer until about 18 mths, and state law here says 1 yr old AND 20lbs. Lately, it is a battle to get her in her car seat. She screams, arches her back, and has an all out melt down. She will also make herself puke during the ride if she doesn't have a pacifier. I am wondering if I turn her FF would she do better? She is 31" tall, and only has 3" more until she reaches the maximum height for RF in her car seat. WWYD? BTW, I have done the research and know the statistics. But in all my research, 18 months was the general age considered safe to turn them.

Angel8203

Asked by Angel8203 at 12:21 PM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I wouldn't turn her at that weight. Keep her rear facing.
    Anonymous

• Only you can know what's best for your baby...my DS also threw fits facing backwards...so we turned him around at 15 months - guess what? He's still alive and thriving at 27 months. It could be just as dangerous and distracting to have a kid screaming at you when you are driving...your call...
    Anonymous

• I would give it a shot and see if it helps with the ride. We switched my oldest around early because she was too long for RF anymore and I was catching her feet when I would go to put the carseat in the base. Now I would make sure you have a really good carseat.
    Katysmom

Answer by Katysmom at 12:48 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• The car seat I have is the Alpha Omega Elite. It is not as nice as a Britax, but still very good. Plus all car seats have to pass the same inspections, so really all you pay for with the more expensive brands are extra padding, and the name. As for her weight, she was that weight back in the beginning of of Sept. Dr. said since she was gaining (just very slowly) he was not worried and we don't go back until she is two.
    Angel8203

Answer by Angel8203 at 12:51 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• My kid throws fits when I don't let her play in traffic. I do what's safest, regardless. If she still fits rear facing, there's no excuse. It's safest. Discipline the fits, don't let her get her way by pitching a fit.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 1:46 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Okay, just want to clear up the confusion... Alpha Omega Elite doesnt even compare to Britax. You are so right, with some seats you pay for looks. My sis in law paid $179 for her Alpha Omega... it is crap.. all looks. I bought her a True Fit for the same price. Anyways, with Britax, you dont pay for looks, you pay for a higher standard of testing, and better safety features. Keep her rear facing. You are so lucky to have such a long way to go. I dont know who told you 18mths was the standard, its not... the minimum recommended now is 2 years. I like to see kids go past three years, as do most car seat techs. I would rather never drive anywhere with my kid than turn them forward facing before the MINIMUM of 2 yrs. Like previously stated, my little girl would LOVE to eat nothing but chocolate, and throws A FIT when I dont let her have chips 24/7... well.. thats too bad.. I do whats BEST for her, not whats EASIER.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 2:42 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I wouldn't turn her yet, but i would get the next size up car seat. IF she's still in an infant seat that is.
    Swingkid511

Answer by Swingkid511 at 4:54 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Okay, A, I love my Alpha Omega Elite. I don't have the $300 to spend on a Britax. And like they I said, they all HAVE TO PASS THE SAME SAFETY INSPECTIONS in order to be sold. So for all you who want to compare this decision to letting my daughter play in traffic, or eat nothing but chocolate, answer me this.......what do I do about her screaming all the time???? Not going anywhere is not an option. I have tried a mirror, toys, singing, etc. I have basically run out of ideas as to how to keep her happy. And what do I do when she passes the maximum height???? All I asked is what would you do. The bashing parenting comments were uncalled for.
    Angel8203

Answer by Angel8203 at 5:45 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• am keeping my dd rf until she turns 35lbs same for ds. she is 21/2 and is 29 lbs. ds is 7 mts and about 20lbs
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 8:13 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Well.. my advice is this... turn the radio up. Id much rather my child scream in the car than to never scream again............
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 8:26 PM on Oct. 16, 2009