How early or how long should you wait to get a babies ears pierced?

I'm having my 2nd DD in Febuary and I want to get her ears pierced while she's a baby. My oldest DD will be 4 next month and I havent got hers done bc now that she's bigger Im afraid she'll mess with them since they'd be somehting "new" to her, so I want to get this babies done while she's still little. Is there an age that they HAVE to be before you can get it done?

misspriss_1987

Asked by misspriss_1987 at 12:25 PM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 3mths for my youngest and around 6mths for my oldest
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 12:26 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• You honestly shouldnt do it to babies they can rip them out still.
    In our family we all got ours done for kindergarden IF we wanted them done
    I dont think you should chose to put holes in your babies body I think you should wait to see if she wants them ,.
    I was so excited to get mine done when I was 5 I was a Big girl then LOL
    countrygirls422

Answer by countrygirls422 at 12:27 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• You should wait until she's old enough to want them.
    It's wrong to put holes in her body without her consent.
    Anonymous

• I hate that my mom let me pierce mine when I was young (7). I did some petite modeling when I was in highschool and they hated that I had my ears pierced because that meant I always had to have earring in or they had to airbrush the "holes" out. I wish she had waited until I was old enough to make a decision about holes that would be in my body forever - they do NOT grow back.

Answer by missanc at 12:38 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• i think earrings are pretty on babies BUT im going to let my daughter choose. i think....haha
    cuz i really do think earrings are pretty on babies.
    oh and wasnt ur question how old do they have to be? ive seen newborns with pierced ears!!
    Bernie19

Answer by Bernie19 at 12:38 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I waited until my daughter could tell me whether she wanted it done or not.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 12:39 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Call your pedi and ask, that is what I did and had it done there. Honestly, the younger they are they do not mess with them. I had my DD's done at six months, she is now two and does not mess with them, never has. This is up to you and your decision alone, don't let people tell you what to do or not. People will try it.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 12:44 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Thanks everyone :) I just wanted to know how old they needed to be.
    My mom got mine pierced 3 months after I turned 3 and I remember messing with them ALL the time. My grandma got me some earrings after I got them pierced and my mom put them in after I was able to change them out and I almost ripped it out bc the back got stuck and I was almost 4 and didn't really know any better, so I wanted to do her's before she got big enought to mess with them. I really do want to get this baby's ears pierced bc I do think it is cute.
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinions about when to get it done and I want to get her's done early.
    misspriss_1987

Answer by misspriss_1987 at 1:20 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• misspriss, you kind of proved that even 3 is still too young. :) Babies WILL mess with their ears. Do you want to risk it, or wait a few short years until they choose themselves. It may be cute, but it won't be when she has a crying fit and manages to pull them out and hurt herself.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 2:00 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Wait until the earring are no longer a choking risk

Answer by rkoloms at 3:10 PM on Oct. 16, 2009