My two year old is driving me insane. Literally.

I just don't know what to do with this boy. He is an absolute monster. It is getting so bad that I am afraid to take him out anywhere because I know he will just scream (and it is LOUD) and freak out the entire time. He is constantly doing things he knows he is not supposed to do (which I expect some of that, after all he is only two) and if I try to redirect him he starts screaming and hitting and kicking the walls or hurting his sister, or even throwing things. I mean his fits are BAD, it's not like the normal terrible twos. This started well after his sister was born so I know it has nothing to do with that, and there are no other major changes. I just feel so overwhelmed and I am really worried about my family. I can't handle this kid. This is an ALL DAY thing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:49 PM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What do you do to correct him, maybe try another method
    Anonymous

• And I have to pretty much lock him up to do anything for my daughter. I can't even change her diaper or feed her without him tearing the place apart, so I have to make him sit in his bedroom while I do that. I feel horrible about it, but I don't know what else to do to keep him safe.
    Anonymous

• I will say one thing.They are not legaly grown tell 18, in the USA.

Answer by louise2 at 12:55 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• It sounds like you're being too easy on him. He needs a firmer hand. Redirection is not an appropriate punishment for this kid. Time outs would be a good place to start. Tell him "NO!" only once and if he does it again he gets time out. That's what I 've had to do for my 17 month old. She's not quite that bad, but she does things she knows better than often. You just have to nip this in the bud while you can.

Good luck, mamma!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:56 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Have you tried engaging him to help you with his sister? Just because it started well after his sister was born, doesn't mean it has nothing to do with that. At first his sister was like a new toy, and if she was like most newborns, she slept all the time. Then she got older, wasn't so new to him, and started monopolizing more of your time. He knows that if he acts out he gets your attention. I would say try to engage him as much as possible. If you are changing her diaper, maybe ask him to help you. He can possibly get the diaper for you, and hold the wipes and hand you one as you need them. Also make sure you are spending at least 30 mins a day of just you and him. He didn't ask for a little sister, and he is still your child. Sharing a parent is hard to adjust too. He deserves one on one also.
    Angel8203

Answer by Angel8203 at 12:59 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Thanks Ati. I have tried time out but the problem with that is he beats on the walls or tears the place apart. The screaming I can deal with at home (though I'd rather not) but he should not be doing that in public, it is very disturbing. He knows what time out means but it doesn't seem to be having an affect. Sometimes I wonder if there is a bigger issue, but I have no idea how I would go about figuring that out.
    Anonymous

• Angel, you make a good point. I have tried to get him to help and that worked at first but he's not interested now. I feel like I do a decent job of giving him attention, but maybe he needs more. I stay home with them so I'm always "here", but maybe he needs to be totally alone with me.
    Anonymous

• spanking is not illegal...along with a time out and mabie a favorite toy taken away.
    Anonymous

• I will admit, much to my embarrassment, that I have resorted to spanking out of frustration and that only makes the situation MUCH worse. In fact, he had never hit another person until somebody hit him, so I am responsible for teaching him that and I want him to know that hitting is never acceptable. I have never believed in spanking and I only did it out of frustration, but I absolutely will not do it again. He was a much more pleasant child before I tried that. That only made this stuff worse.
    Anonymous

• I would like to have you google sensory integration dysfunction and see if any of it fits you. Get him in for an evaluation.
    Anonymous