Won't play outside

My five year old refuses to lay outside at our house. He will everywhere else though. we have bookoo's of mosquitoes at our house so I think that is the problem. I have tried repellent but there are just to many. Now it is cooler and they are gone he still refuses to play out there. This was part of us buying a house for him to have a yard to play in. My younger daughter, you can't get her in so it's not that he has no one else out with him... I dunno... I have bought him chalk and bikes and scooters and trucks and shovels and sand toys for the dirt and rocks out there. I have encouraged games like exploring and even bought him a bug house and magnifying glass and a DOG...What else can I do!?!?!?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:02 PM on Oct. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• I wish you were my mommy! You are doing a great job but he is not picking up on it. Hmmm. Try taking them to a nearby park with lots of equipment, a zoo, feed ducks, nature walk, a field to play soccer, mini golf. Write on the calandar an outdoor activity once a week (or more) and make it manditory.
    What does he like to do instead? Maybe you can tell him in a positive way like "Yes, you can stay inside for X minutes BUT FIRST, we are going to do _____ " Win win situation. I do it all the time with my kids. I start my sentence out with "OK" or "alright" then followed by "But..." It lets their guard down and usually they are more willing to be cooperative.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 2:53 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• maybe a body paint day. go to a craft store and have him choose the colors he likes and explain that he can only play body paint if he goes outside.

no kid will pass up a chance to paint on themselves
    Anonymous

• I MAKE my kids go outside, even if they don't want to. The minimum for them to play outside at my house is one hour when they aren't in school - when they are in school I know they were outside for recess for 1/2 hour, so it's only 1/2 hour outside.
    One thing my kids LOVE - we have a trampoline with the enclosure. At Christmas they usually have them on sale at WalMart the weekend after Thanksgiving for like 50% off. We actually got ours at BJs because we wanted the biggest one they sell - my kids are older. It was a "family" gift from Santa.

Answer by missanc at 1:57 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Go out and play WITH him, hit/kick some balls around. Make it mandatory that he play outside like missanc does....Make up a scavenger hunt, get a dog and tell him to go play with the dog (that one is a stretch but it would probably work! :) ) Good luck!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 2:11 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Just keep trying. My daughter who is 5 would't play out side at our house for about 6 or 8 months. There is a train track behind the house and it can be very loud. For a long time she was afraid to go outside.
    Thankfully once it got warm she started playing outside a lot more. Then once we got the fence built in the backyard the 2 year old could go out with her too and so they have spent a lot more time out.
    I think it was persistence because she really does love to be outside, just keep trying and eventually it'll work.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 2:58 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I know what you mean. I had to drag my daughter kicking and screaming to come inside. My son however rather have his nose in a book. He does love going on walks to collect rocks and leaves. For the most part he thinks being outside is boring. I agree that you will just will have to find things that you can do together. Even though I love nature, I remember my mom making us go out to play. Even though we had a huge backyard I was bored too. All the things you have for him sound fun. i would make a game/ an adventure out of it for the both of you. The only suggestion I could add is maybe a clubhouse. He could imagine it to be anything and it could hold all the treasures he finds.
    CelticFaerie

Answer by CelticFaerie at 3:28 PM on Oct. 16, 2009