what do you think of a 13 yr old DD dating ?

my 13 yr has friends both male and female , she goes to movies with or school functions , like ballgames and dances

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:13 PM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• at 13 I had a lot of male and female friends, hung out with them all the same. I had my first bf at 14 I was in high school at the time dating a senior...so I think that was a bit much

why not pull her aside and be like...hey when your friends have BF's what do they do. You'll be suprised with what she says. My sister is 11 and all this time her friend who is also 11 had this bf who was 13 and I guess they were making out all the time...yeah thats a bit much for an 11 year old. So now I know when my sister pushes the issue of being able to date I just say maybe next year, and then next year Ill say, maybe next year, and I'll keep it going.

But if "dating" for her is doing homework with a boy and giving hugs then its considerable. but first ask about how her friends are with bf's or gf's....because she'll mimick them
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 1:26 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• 13 is too young to be "dating"...though I wouldn't call group outings dating at all. I would never let my 13 yo go on a "date"...too much can happen and they can get into major trouble. It happens all the time. Group outings...a group of friends at the dance or ball games...maybe a family outing with an invited guest...with responsible people. That's how these children should get together.
    sonja911

Answer by sonja911 at 1:21 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• In group outings, it's fine. Wait at least another year or two before letting her really date and even then, keep it supervised (or at home) for a few months.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 1:24 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• 13 is too young for dating , hanging out as groups is ok.
    mommorgan

Answer by mommorgan at 1:39 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Wouldn't be happening in my home.
    Anonymous

• She's too young by about 5 years. Remember dating is for the selection of a marriage partner. Shouldn't start dating until she's ready to be married.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:33 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Too young. When teens start dating too soon, they find themselves in sexual situations that they are not mature enough to handle.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:59 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Group outings are great and a good way to learn to socialize. My 14 year old boy can not date until he can drive, has a job to make money and treat a girl with the respect they deserve. I told him if he can not take the girl out on his own, with his own money then he is not old or mature enough to be trusted with someone elses feelings. Kids are so vulnerable at 13 or 14, even 15... he can not possibly be mature enough to be trusted with someone elses feelings and self esteem. For homecoming they went in a group 15 girls 5 boys- I think its great girls do not wait to be asked (or picked) to go to a dance- each paid for their own ticket, their own dinner, it was big fun, low drama and no one hurt someone else or made them feel left out.
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 4:30 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• No dating....Groups can be ok as long as you know where they are and what they are doing...no hanging out at the corner store you know??? The rule in my house was always that i had to "be" somewhere and if it was at a house, there had to be a parent present.

13 is young but not young enough where you don't have to worry about sex and drug use.

Be open with your dtg, be supportive but be the parent and watch her...any change is behavior might be a sign things are not what they seem. Just take it slow---she has plenty of time for dating later on....
    Anonymous