Time to declaw the kitties.

They cats had their surgery almost a month ago and now I want to declaw them. Does anyone have thoughts about this? Idea of how much it will cost? I have never declawed my cats before, but these two are little scratchers.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:33 PM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Pets

• they'll grow out of it! keep spraybottles on hand i personally am against declawing and feel it's inhumane, imagine it being doone to yourself... ouch!
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 2:02 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I was a vet tech before I was a SAHM and have assisted at these surgeries. They involve amputating the first joint of what is the cat's "finger"--imagine this being done to you--and much bleeding and pain afterward. The cats' paws are tightly wrapped in bandages, but some blood still leaks through, and they are given painkillers, but still moan. After viewing my first surgery, I decided I would never do this to my own cats, and I never have. Besides the fact that it involves a great deal of involuntary pain on the cat's part, they are defenseless if they ever get outside.
    SaraCVT

Answer by SaraCVT at 2:09 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Before you declaw them try differant things first. I would get differant types of scratcing posts and place them aroud the house. You can also use a spray bottle or a can with coins in it to shake at them. They also have something (soft claws) that you can put over the nail so that they can't scratch things up. I used to be totally against declawing because i have seen the precedure done many times(work at vet). But there are situations were declawing may be the only option. But it should be the last resort. Try the things that I and the other posters suggested before deciding. I will admit i had to have my cat April declawed when she was 10 years old because nothing we tried worked( her nick name was Blondie for a reason) and my husband was going to make me get rid of her. April came to us as a stray so we don't know how old she truly was but she did very well however, not all cat do.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 2:52 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• You need to ask what precedure they use and what they do for pain. I personally will never do it again. I actually cried the day i picked her up from the vet.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 2:54 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• But I do need to say that if it's between declawing and getting rid of the cat, declaw by a trusted vet (it should NEVER be a one-day procedure) and keep the cat indoors for the rest of its life. As a previous poster said, this is a last, last, LAST resort.
    SaraCVT

Answer by SaraCVT at 4:09 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• i got my cats declawed.... best thing i ever did lol. and yes i know all about it bc i actually have a degree in animal science and i still think it was great for our family. they do have to stay inside forever though. i think mine cost a few hundred each.... they have to stay overnight and get lots of meds. and you have to use shredded paper in their litter box until they heal up too.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:40 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Thanks for your answers. I don't know why this is anonymous. I posted it in the wrong section and when I moved it I guess I hit the anon button.

I have decided not to declaw them for now. It just hurt my own little fingers when I read what they do :( it might have to be a choice I make in the end but for now lets see if they grow out of this. They are only 6 or 7 months.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 9:00 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• i do agree that declawing should be last resort kind of thing, but they do laser declawing nowadays at some vet offices. it's much less painful for the cat and less recovery time. the procedure also takes less time, so the cat is not under anesthesia as long (which carries its own risks). the procedure still generally costs the same though. just so you know for future reference :) i used soft paws on my cat for a long time. i liked them cos you could get different colors. i'd tell him he was going in for his pedicure! hahahaha! they just ended up costing so much though.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 10:13 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Declawing is PAINFUL and INHUMANE!!!!!!!!!! DO NOT DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If you can't keep the cat natural and worry more about your furniture, REHOME the cat!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:52 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I actually never heard of declawing until I came to the states, I think it is one of the cruelest things you can do to an animal! You do know that it is like riping your fingernails out and amputating some of your finger right?!
    What we do with our cat is we cut and file down his claws so that way they are not as sharp and if he tries to scratch us it usually doesn't hurt or he wont even break skin.
    Please think about it again before you declaw your cat.
    stpalmsgirl

Answer by stpalmsgirl at 11:44 AM on Oct. 29, 2009