What are ways to punish and help my children for not doing homework/classwork, backtalking, calling each other names and lieing?

My son is 12 and he is the worst for not doing his homework/classwork. He had to build a castle and had it since Sept 25 and did not tell us. We found out last weekend from his cousin who is in the same grade and school. He did not have time to finish it or meet all guidelines. This is not the first time. He also goofs off alot in school and at home and we can not get him to do his work. How would I punish him for doing stuff like that so I know he will do better next time? He also lies alot about his grades and school work. I also have 3 girls, ages 7-11 and they constantly calling each other names, backtalking, lieing and just being mean to each other. They hit, kick, yell, call each other b****, brats, stuck up, etc. How do I stop this and punish them for this. it is mainly the older one. The littler one pick it up from her. My 11 year is a bully and bossy to them all the time.

clong83

Asked by clong83 at 1:35 PM on Oct. 16, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• For the homework issue. I set a parent teacher conference. My 11 year old has an accordian folder that he puts all his work in and I write back to the teacher daily. With the other issue. I made my kids write lines. They HATE It. Now if they are not done in what you think is a timely manner add more. I also made my 7 year old stand over a portable tv dinner tray thingy and finish them all. She had to stay in the kitchen until she was done. We ordered pizza that night and she did lines while everyone ate then had a bowl of cereal. She was so upset and this morning she didnt clean her her and i said the word lines and she was cleaning. My advise for parenting is consistancy. I have 5 kids and they wouldnt DARE talk to each other like that. I hardly ever hit my kids. They just know that what i say i mean so if i say a punishment they WILL get it. Try the lines though.. such as I WILL NOT CALL MY SISTER DISRESPECTFUL NAMES 500 X
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 1:48 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Our school had assignment books that the kids had to write their homework down in. The teachers or helpers would check the books to make sure all the kids wrote in their books. And every night we checked it, so we knew what was going on. We even had to initial the book to show we had seen it. For my daughter, we used positive reinforcement. It helped! She got a sticker chart and after she earned so many stars, she got a reward of some sort. Usually going to her favorite place. Best of luck! Stay positive!
    aklebeyers

Answer by aklebeyers at 1:38 PM on Oct. 16, 2009