My 14 month old wants nothing to do with his crib, should we??

invest in a toddler bed or just put the crib mattress on the floor and let him sleep on that and then get a big boy bed when we can afford it?? Thanks

Autumnlover68

Asked by Autumnlover68 at 11:12 AM on Jun. 24, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We put the crib mattress on the floor at firs tos when our kids fell out (if they fell out) it was only a few inches and it didn't bother them. Eventually they stopped rolling out of bed and that's when we transitioned them.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:15 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I THINK YOU SHOULD JUST PUT THE MATTRESS ON THE FLOOR,HAVE YOU BEEN LETTING HIM SLEEP WITH YOU ALOT THAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM,JUST MAKE SURE NOTHING IS AROUND THAT HE CAN HURT HIMSELF WITH.
    tboogie

Answer by tboogie at 11:20 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• most toddler beds suggest children be no less than 15 months old. There is an entrapment hazard if they are too small. If it were me, I'd put it on the floor too.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:10 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• At 14 months my daughter was in her own bed we had a crib that changed from crib to daybed to full size bed she went straight to the full size bed with out a problem.
    momto1727

Answer by momto1727 at 1:48 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• When my son was 14 months he seemed like he was ready for a twin bed so we took the crib down and put a twin bed in, but he didn't do too well with it...so now he is sleeping in his playpen until he gets a little bigger...but im thinking of buying the rails that u can put on the side of the bed and tryin to put him back in his big bed...he would always roll off he bed, that was the problem.
    mama2britnkaleb

Answer by mama2britnkaleb at 4:11 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Is it that he keeps climbing out or that he refuses to go to sleep?

If it's climbing, get a crib tent. That will keep him safely in the crib.

If it's refusing to go to sleep, moving him to a bed (even just a mattress on the floor) will be a HUGE invitation to roam around the house and play. If you go with this option, make certain you put a lock or baby gate on his door and SUPER baby-proof his room. He will see every piece of furniture as a chance to climb - which he will do at 2am when you are sound asleep.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:22 PM on Jun. 24, 2008