Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can my husband join the military and myself and the kids stay in our home here in Florida?

My husband wants to join the military...probably Army or Marines and I was wondering if he is allowed to join and go wherever he is needed while myself and our children stay in our house and continue a civilian lifestyle?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:10 PM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (7)
  • Yes, I think so. He will have to ask his recruiter for sure. There are families that simply do not PCS with the active duty family member. But why not travel? We went to Hawaii. I was in Germany as a child, twice. Military go to Italy, Japan, you could have a good time.

    Answer by Raine2001 at 2:13 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

  • Yes, he would be considered a "geo-bachelor", but honestly, a relationship like this works a lot better if you were to travel with him. Would you be willing to go years without living with your husband? I mean, deployments...obviously you couldn't go then. Other than that, they may place you somewhere and you could (no promises) stay there until he got out of the military.

    This is a huge decision to go or to stay with him and one that you need to ask him about. Is he okay with not seeing his kids on a regular basis for years?

    Answer by jlry_ldy at 2:19 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

  • Yes, but that is a lot of time apart! It is hard enough living the military life and being apart when we have to. If he gets BAH (housing allowance) he can not live in the barracks. You will be paying the living expenses for 2 households.


    Answer by obrn4u at 2:21 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

  • You don't 'have' to go anywhere. However, after basic and his training school he will be sent to a duty station. His BAH(housing allowance) will be based on the area where he is stationed. Not where you are in Florida. When my husband was still active duty we were at duty station where another base 100 miles away recieved hundreds less in BAH. It is partially based on pay grade but location of Permanent Duty Station is also a big factor.

    Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:23 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

  • Yes. I have a friend who did that but that was until he was settled overseas for them to join him.

    Your hubby's not military yet? Most commitmens are two to four years? You're prepared to be without him except maybe weekend or every few months, couple of years?

    My husband was military. Longterm military - at least Army, which my husband wasn't - at some point has to have a year's hardship tour usually overseas and that's in peacetime which is when my husband was in. His tdy temporary travel took him overseas several times and countrywide.

    Now of course we're in two wars and protecting our homeland and in other countries too. I have always been impressed by the US and our military. Maybe try and join a military wives group in CM for some guidance. My husband and I had a baby his last year active duty, that was hard even then and then he went back to college for five years, had 1more. The base and college com. helpd.

    Answer by lfl at 2:24 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

  • yes

    Answer by admckenzie at 2:40 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

  • You can, it's difficult to be separated and you won't get money to live in both places. If your husband is ready to be one of The Few, The Proud-go talk to the Marine recruiter.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:00 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.