"Health Insurance Companies denying medical treatment for Autistic Children" Do you believe this statement?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:20 PM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• My son has been denied by private health insurance, which we will pay for, but was denied. So, he has to be on Medicaid to get ANY healthcare. Ain't that a kick in the pants?
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 7:11 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I have worked for a large health ins company and seen how they operate. I would put nothing past them. So yes, I believe this could be true.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 2:22 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I don't see why not, the insurance system is built on business. So it's business as usual.
    Anonymous

• yes, i have a child with autism and have been denied so I know it's true

Answer by missanc at 2:36 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

Please forgive my ignorance but what kind of medical treatment does an autistic child need? And this is coming from a person who's been told that Autism is a brain disorder.
    Anonymous

I've know that this "procedure" of denying benefits is a customary practice by Insurance Companies. People who have cancer most ofter are denied treatment not knowing that they can appeal the decision. As the pp said business is business!
    Anonymous

• It's 100 percent true. I have a son with autism that is 4 and has the speech of a 1 year old. He needs speach therapy. We were approved for 4 hours of speech a week by 'Blue Cross then one week in they stopped the services and stated that I needed to pay $1000 out of pocket for further testing. We did so and then they denied us saying that because his speech issues were due to autism they would not be covered. We switched to Kaiser and they also do not offer speech services to autistic kids. Now if he was not diagnosed with autism we could get all the speech help in the world. This is not acceptable.
    trippyhippy

Answer by trippyhippy at 2:51 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• wow trippy that is just so damn wrong, ss.
    Anonymous

• "insurers to deny coverage for Applied Behavioral Analysis (“ABA”), an essential treatment for autism,"

ABA is a form of behavioral therapy that has been scientifically proven to improve brain function in autistic children.  For years, insurance companies refused to pay for ABA on the grounds that it was “experimental” and that there was insufficient medical evidence to show that it was an effective treatment for autism.

Anonymous

• Yes they can appeal and the chances of winning are much higher then with the government...
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 3:01 PM on Oct. 16, 2009